Replacing clutch lever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing clutch lever

Installed (or tried to) my new clutch lever last night. Matches OEM, and has the proper cut out for the clutch safety switch. Do I need to take off the switch to install the new lever? I managed to get the new lever on and bolted, but I think it may be binding up against the switch nubbin (hah, can't think of a better word) because the lever feels weird when I pull it.

Take the switch out and throw it away. Motorcycles are dangerous enough without this kind of "safety" BS.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

That was going to be my next question. I already have it disabled...might as well toss it. Thanks.

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Take the switch out and throw it away. Motorcycles are dangerous enough without this kind of "safety" BS.

Comment

Here's a lame video after installing the new lever and getting rid of the switch.

I'm new to adjusting the clutch, and free play etc. Am I correct in thinking my cable is too tight? Would you adjust it at the lever? Down by the engine?

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Screw the handlebar adjuster all the way IN, then adjust at the lower end until you have just a little bit of play before the cable actually starts pulling. You can fine-tune it at the handlebar adjuster, but in your current state, you have no room to do that.

Did you lubricate the pivot pin for the new lever? How about where the clutch cable fits in? A little dab of grease on both of those points will keep that "new, fresh" feeling a lot longer.

I notice that your cluch is rather easy to pull. Isn't that nice?
          (Either that, or you have a wickedly strong thumb. )

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Like Steve says, tweak the cable down at the clutch and the fine-tune at the handle.

The only thing I would change is bring the adjustment screw on the handle in a bit more. Other than that, your setup behaves pretty much like mine.
            Charles
            --
            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Working...
            X