• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But I enjoy spraying paint.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Closed cell foam rollers is what I have used. I painted a Piper Twin Comanche 2 years ago with it and the aircraft looks amazing for a roller job.

I have also sprayed it. But it is exclusively rolled. When rolling It takes about 2-3 very thin coats, I usually do 3 with a 360 wet sand in between if I am after the best job possible.

I enjoy spraying paint also, but believe me, if you follow the instructions very carefully the quality of the finish by rolling or using a high quality brush will blow your mind!
      1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
      1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Originally posted by helmutholderbenz View Post
        Hi, Iv'e bought a new gas tank for my bike. The thing looks awful but has no dents. I don't have the money to get a professional paint job so I'm wondering what can I paint it with that wont get all messed up with gas spillage. Thanks for anyones advice..... Helmut
        If you need to go super inexpensive, appliance epoxy spray paint will do the trick.

No primer, no clear coat. Spray on a few light coats for a shiny finish, or wait about twenty minutes between coats for more of a satin finish. Let it dry for at least a week, repeat at least a week, and the stuff will just laugh at any gas spills.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
          Brush results are good. If flows out and leaves no marks like very few other paints I've seen.
          Originally posted by Fjbj40 View Post
          Closed cell foam rollers is what I have used. I painted a Piper Twin Comanche 2 years ago with it and the aircraft looks amazing for a roller job.

I have also sprayed it. But it is exclusively rolled. When rolling It takes about 2-3 very thin coats, I usually do 3 with a 360 wet sand in between if I am after the best job possible.

I enjoy spraying paint also, but believe me, if you follow the instructions very carefully the quality of the finish by rolling or using a high quality brush will blow your mind!
          Originally posted by MadCapsule View Post
          If you need to go super inexpensive, appliance epoxy spray paint will do the trick.

No primer, no clear coat. Spray on a few light coats for a shiny finish, or wait about twenty minutes between coats for more of a satin finish. Let it dry for at least a week, repeat at least a week, and the stuff will just laugh at any gas spills.

These replies all sound very impressive. Thanks for sharing.
          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Here's my guru

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
              Stephen Hull - he's excellent.
              Adding to what I mentioned above - I've occasionally used Tractor Enamel (might be called Highway or Plant Paint in some parts). Basically, a range of colour paints designed for agricultural, earthmoving, construction, etc. Not as flexible as Yacht Enamel, but still tough as old boots, easy to apply, cheap, and easily available.
              ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
              X