Questions before soda blasting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions before soda blasting

I'm getting ready to soda blast my spare engine. It's a running motor out of a 79 750 with about 15,000 miles on it, but cosmetically it's in rough shape. I've spoken to the guy at the blasting shop and he said he's done plenty of bike motors in the past, $100-$120 depending on how bad it is. He also gave me his guarantee, that is he guaranteed me that the soda WILL make its way into any opening, so to make sure everything was properly sealed, "a rag stuffed in the intake ain't gonna cut it" he said. I've made up block-off plates for the intakes, exhaust ports, cam chain tensioner, and oil pressure switch plate. I want the fins to be completely cleaned, which is why I pulled the tensioner and switch plate.

My questions are as follows. First off I will be having a set of 850 jugs blasted at the same time. I'm not sure if these will make it onto this motor or not, but the minimum charge at the shop means that having them blasted later, separately would be a costly afterthought. If they end up sitting on the shelf, they will be ready when I do decide to use them. My question is, is it alright to have the jugs soda blasted as they sit? Do I need to prep the sleeves is any way to prevent the soda from making its way in there and leaving a profile on the wall? Or does the hardness of the sleeves make this a non issue? What about the gasket surface?
    My other question is for the guys who have blasted a complete motor in the past. What do you do to seal the small opening at the front of the motor, just inboard of the points cover? It looks like it's open to the inside, but I'm not sure. It's obviously not open to any point in the motor that contains oil, since there is no leak and all of my 750 motors have this.image.jpg
    should I just seal it with some sort of silicone?

The biggest concern i would have with the empty jugs is getting blasting media down in the oil passages. Make sure to clean those really well or find a way to block them off. And as far as that hole is concerned, i think some rtv would work for the time being.

Comment

Working...
    X