Powder coating engine pieces?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powder coating engine pieces?

I just ordered a new set of gaskets to rebuild my gs750. While I have the motor torn down I want to clean it up and coat it black. I am between powder coating the engine covers and cylinder head or painting them. Should I be concerned about trapping excess heat if I powder coat the engine black vs painting it with a high heat paint? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I'm powdercoating my cylinders right now, I mean they are in the oven right this minute. IMHO, these engines have so much excess cooling it won't be any problem at all, unless you have one of the hugely over bored high compression engines that do get hot.

Even then I don't think it would have much effect on actual temperatures. Not much different than paint anyway.

As far as covers it won't make any difference.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I would be more concerned about overheating with ceramic coating than powder coating/ceramic engine enamel. The ceramic coating keeps heat in more than the other 2. I would have the exhaust ceramic coated over having an air cooled cylinder ceramic coated

Comment

Besides motor bay advantages, I believe I read somewhere that retaining more heat in the exhaust made them more efficient. Memory doesn't always serve well these days, goes with the old fart territory. Like your Battle flag poke tkent02, people should read more history and not believe popular agenda BS.
        '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by 60ratrod View Post
          I would be more concerned about overheating with ceramic coating than powder coating/ceramic engine enamel. The ceramic coating keeps heat in more than the other 2. I would have the exhaust ceramic coated over having an air cooled cylinder ceramic coated
          Keeping heat in the header prevents gas expansion, that enhances flow. That is because it is easier to move a smaller volume through the pipe, sure it expands later in the larger part of the pipe, holding the heat in the pipe makes more power.

As far as paint it is essentially a hybrid type of plastic, it too holds in heat to a degree. I am wondering if a plastic would conduct heat any better than a ceramic.
          1981 GS1100E
          1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Comment

There are coating designed to hold heat in and coatings designed to help dissipate heat. Just choose the right one.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
            X