Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1000e 1978 handlebars

Hi All
    Looking into changing the stock handle bars on my GS1000E 1978 to a modern upgrade
    but still keeping the classic look with hopefully better handling and a nice everyday riding
    position. Any body changed their bars and to what type with the minimum messing with cables.

ps frame and swingarm colour is it gloss or satin ?

Cheers

Most will opt for the EMGO Daytona Touring bars but they're just a tad too forward for my liking. I like a more upright position. I was looking for stock bars for my 1000G. I currently have new Daytona bars on mine. If you're are rust free I may be willing to trade out mine for yours. They're less then 4 months old and have never been rained on.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Try the stock bars from a GS550 or 750. A bit lower but not drastic. I put 450 bars on my 550, 550 bars on a 750, 750 bars on the 1000E. It works well for me.

I like the Superbike bend on the smaller GSes but it's a bit of a reach on the big ones.

The Emgo bars suck, there are no serrations to keep them from turning in the clamps, very cheaply made like anything Emgo.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        The Emgo bars suck, there are no serrations to keep them from turning in the clamps, very cheaply made like anything Emgo.
        I haven't been able to find any of the aftermarket suppliers that have the serrated bars anymore. I would love to find a stock replacement for my 1000G but so far I've come up empty. Seems like they don't make bars with a stock bend anymore. Everything is either too far forward or too cruiser L-ish for my liking. I have a bar that Chef gave me but the chrome is not up to par. The bend is perfect though. Just don't know who made the bar.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

HI
          Anybody know the measurements for the stock gs1000e 1978 handle bars to see how they compare to these
          sizes found on various new handle bar sizes

Emgo Daytona Touring Handlebars
          7/8" diameter
          Width: 29"
          Rise: 4"
          Pullback: 6-1/2"
          Center width: 4-1/2"
          -----------------------------------------------------------------------
          SUPERBIKE HANDLE BARS
          7/8 DIA
          29" WIDTH
          2-1/2" RISE
          4-3/4" PULLBACK
          4-3/4" CENTER

------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Emgo Classic Handlebars
          7/8" diameter
          Width: 29-1/2"
          Rise: 4-1/2"
          Pullback: 9-1/2"
          Center width: 5"
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Bikemaster Daytona Handlebar
          All bars are 7/8" OD (outside diameter)
          Measurements:
          Width = 29.2"
          Rise = 5.36"
          Pullback = 3"
          Center = 4.4"
          ================================================== ================
          Sizing Information:
          Rise = how high the bars are from top to bottom
          Width = end to end measurement
          Pullback = how far bars come back toward rider
          Center = length of center between first bends

cheers
          Last edited by Guest; 09-29-2015, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X