Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I restore my bike to its original body?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I restore my bike to its original body?

When I purchased my bike I wasn't a bit fond of the appearance mod (probably added to cover up evidence of being downed), but the more I look at the body the more attached I am to it.. I'd love to hear any suggestions, should I *slowly* bring this bike back into it's sleek stock style? or should I leave the look be (fixing the dents and dings & mirrors)?

My bike's current look-
    (cut and paste these links)
    Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Stock '79 GS850G-
    (Restored PERFECTLY by Harry Buitenweg - found in the GS Gallery)

Not that I could do anything nearly that complete or beautiful... just curious what your thoughts were.

I guess I fail to see the dents you speak of. Styling looks great though. leaver her be. But fix the dents I guess.

What's with the OR plate, buster? Are you mooching off my tab fees? [menacing glare]

Michael

Comment

I always like the stock look when restoring but if you are not planning a ground up restoration I say the bike looks nice as it is.

Comment

I'm leaning towards reviving the body as-is... mainly because I feel that there are a couple of improvements (handlebars-maybe 2tone), and if I'm not going to go full fledged on the restoration I might as well just pass..

Comment

I think it's cool.
          Why have the same thing as someone else?
          If it was a bone stock original, I'd say restore it that way. Historical preservation is a wonderful thing.

But it's not original so chop away! Loose those bars, mirrors and turn signals. Put on some nice new pieces and go out and go out for a long ride! You'll feel a lot better.

Steve

Comment

Re: Should I restore my bike to its original body?

Originally posted by PMHallum
            Stock '79 GS850G-
            (Restored PERFECTLY by Harry Buitenweg - found in the GS Gallery)

Not that I could do anything nearly that complete or beautiful... just curious what your thoughts were.

Thanks for the compliments...

At first I din't plan to get it back to stock, but I was incredibly lucky finding parts. And you'd be amazed what a set of new bolts and nuts and some new paint can do for the looks!
            I wasn't in a hurry, so I just took my time, and eventually I found more and more parts on the internet, to make the bike look better.
            It's not completely stock though. The exhausts are off a GS1000, the brakes and discs are from an 81 GS850. I could not get the original brakes working again; they were completely rusted.
            Had the fuel tank (few nasty dents and some rust) repainted by a professional, and bought a few new parts (front fender, stainless steel brake lines, tires).
            I painted the frame and the engine myself. The cylinders and part of the crankcase were painted black (with a brush!!) by the previous owner. I had the choice between either getting the engine sandblasted, or trying to repaint it myself.

I think that your bike looks nice as it is. Get the dents fixed, get some new handlebars and mirrors. You don't have to do it in a hurry; just take your time.

Your bike doesn't look bad at all!
            Mine was in worse condition when I bought it: http://home.wanadoo.nl/kastanje/www/...en_641x493.jpg

Comment

incredible results with that bike jojo. I didn't know that was the original state..

Comment

ditch those bars,,......horrible....but I say leave the rest of the bike as it is...

Comment

Working...
                X