Clubman Bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clubman Bars

So I've been feeling quite indecisive on which bars to put on my bike. I have a 1980 GS550L. This model is much more "cruiser-esque" than the E submodel, and I'm wondering if, bluntly, the clubman bars will make the bike look weird.

I cant seem to find any pictures of the same model featuring clubman bars AND have the same seat. I plan to make my own tracker style seat eventually but in the interim I dont know if the bike will look stupid with them. Should I just go for superbike/euro bars?

Also - are there any huge drawback I should be considering with the clubman bars? I understand that I wont have "as much" steering control as I would with wider superbike bars, but is this a HUGE deal? Or just something that takes some getting used to? As I said I've been indecisive. I'm considering that superbike or euro bars may be a better long term installation for aesthetic reasons but I really prefer a forward stance. (sidebar - can clipons be installed on this bike!?)

Wont be going on long trips so Im not worried about the whole back and wrist soreness, so any comments please omit that consideration.

CA tracker style would have superbike bend bars, or dirt bike bars.
    1979 GS550, 2003 R6, 1998 XR400 Dual Sport, 2004 V-Star.........

Decisions, decisions, what to ride, today.
    sigpic
    My GS550 Build

Comment

Personal opinion? Yes, they would make the bike look weird. Especially until you get the rest of your "look" sorted out.

Looks aside, consider practicality. You mentioned you are not worried about long-distance comfort, so I won't either, because there simply won't be any with those bars. Your tank might be small enough to avoid getting slammed by the bars at full-lock, but I don't know for sure. If the bars do hit the tank, you will have to fabricate some stops to keep the wheel from turning so far.

To do clip-ons properly, you would need longer fork tubes that project above the upper triple clamp. Probably available somewhere, but I would not have a clue where to look.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        ......To do clip-ons properly, you would need longer fork tubes that project above the upper triple clamp. Probably available somewhere, but I would not have a clue where to look.

Actually, properly installed clip-ons are usually mounted below the top triple. No longer forks needed. There are some that have 1 to 2.5" risers so the bars ar actually above the triple, even though the clamp is below. See attached for Woodcraft's version:

1979 GS550, 2003 R6, 1998 XR400 Dual Sport, 2004 V-Star.........

Decisions, decisions, what to ride, today.
        sigpic
        My GS550 Build

Comment

20151012_144625.jpgTo give you an idea about clubman style bars, look at the photo of my kz1000. Similar stepped style seat, and no tank interference. Comfort wise, they are pretty good. I like to take my kz on 2hr rides and i experience little discomfort. The only discomfort i experience is when i keep my muscles tensed up subconsciously. Once i figure out that i have been tensing my muscles and get them to relax, it's a comfortable ride. Then again i like a more sport style posture
          Last edited by Guest; 10-12-2015, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Here are two pics I found of a GS450L. Looks better than I was expecting.
            The pics are for a review of BikeMaster Clubman bars:

Comment

Both pics show the Clubmans mounted upside down. If you're going to do that you might as well run Superbikes or Daytonas and get a little control with your discomfort.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I agree with tkent02. Clubmans mounted upside down imo, end up almost like an "L" bar but look different. The bar you use will depend on the style, build or comfort you are looking for.
                Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

I had no idea i put my clubmans on upside-down. However, they are way more comfortable the eay they are than the bars that were on the kz when i got it

Comment

Something else to consider: while some people can use clubmans with stock foot controls, some cannot. It really depends on your build, along with the ergonomics of the rest of the bike.

I'd go with Superbike bars first, at least until you get a flatter seat and maybe reposition the foot controls where you want them.

Comment

Originally posted by 60ratrod View Post
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]42436[/ATTACH]To give you an idea about clubman style bars, look at the photo of my kz1000. Similar stepped style seat, and no tank interference. Comfort wise, they are pretty good. I like to take my kz on 2hr rides and i experience little discomfort. The only discomfort i experience is when i keep my muscles tensed up subconsciously. Once i figure out that i have been tensing my muscles and get them to relax, it's a comfortable ride. Then again i like a more sport style posture
                      Holy crap. After last night I had pretty much decided on Superbike Bars. But I never thought to install the clubmans upside down! My mind is a little blown. I love the was that KZ looks! And if I wanted a more forward stance I could just turn the bars to their correct position. Sounds like I've made my decision. Thanks!

Comment

Clubmans on my 1983 GS1100. I put rearsets on there as well. almost 3k miles this season and very comfortable for me... 5'11" 215lbs...

Comment

Originally posted by gordinho80 View Post
                          Clubmans on my 1983 GS1100. I put rearsets on there as well. almost 3k miles this season and very comfortable for me... 5'11" 215lbs...

Holy crap. If you are ever selling that beautiful piece of art please take my money!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JerbGas View Post
                            Holy crap. If you are ever selling that beautiful piece of art please take my money!!!
                            Thank you! It is not perfect... but I like it, a lot! I've already had a few offers and I've turned them all down. I plan on keeping this bike for as long as it rides.

Comment

IMG_3099 (1).jpg

I put clubmans on my GS550E and was surprised by how comfortable they were. My position is sitting a bit forward, but not like on a crotch rocket. This could be because I have long arms. It is also worth noting that my handlebars do not scrape my stock tank at full turn. They are about 1/8" from touching on each side. I am 6'4, 280lbs. I am comfortable around town on my short trips. Ive never ridden for more than a couple hours at one time since I live in the city.

That being said, if I had to do handlebars again, I would go with clip ons. They have more options for adjustability and look to sit at about the same place. You can lower forks if you want etc. Plus, you can install an aftermarket top triple tree that really cleans up the look of the bike down the road. I may end up switching in a year or two.
                              Last edited by Guest; 10-14-2015, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X