No announcement yet.

The Official GS Brat, Tracker, Scrambler thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use to run this one... Still have that on the shelf. It's a cut down & re-shaped stock I painted.
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I think that's what I'll start with Dan, a cut down stock fender. The one off my Liter has a pretty good song in it (po). The other two are in good shape.

I I was just thinking that if I could start with one the factory "braces" I could make my own. The only thing I was worried about was the clearance if I switched to a dual sport tires.

Comment

Originally posted by BADJACKSON View Post
        I think that's what I'll start with Dan, a cut down stock fender. The one off my Liter has a pretty good song in it (po). The other two are in good shape.

I I was just thinking that if I could start with one the factory "braces" I could make my own. The only thing I was worried about was the clearance if I switched to a dual sport tires.
        I just put the Shinko 705' on my 850 brat project and there is good clearance front and rear. I went 130 80 17 rear and 110 80 19 front. I think the next size up would have even fit.
        The stock 850 I think is a one peice steel brace and fender,(brace spot welded to fender, the one I am running is from a 650g or an 1100gk (friend gave it to me from one of his 2 gs's.

Comment

Loud et, are you EVER going to give us a glimpse of this Brat you're doing. This thread is severely lacking pictures & I think you could help us with that.

Comment

Originally posted by BADJACKSON View Post
            Loud et, are you EVER going to give us a glimpse of this Brat you're doing. This thread is severely lacking pictures & I think you could help us with that.
            Maybe soon. Lol
            Without the finishing styling touches, it just looks like any other resto mod. Lol
            I still have a ways to go, what I can say is that about the only bit that wasn't replaced, polished or painted are the damn tire valves. Haha. It's looking pretty sharp imo
            Last edited by Guest; 11-21-2015, 01:45 AM.

Comment

Sneak peak....
              My 11 yo and I went tool shopping for his birthday. I got him a small toolbox and some of his first real tools.
              He put all the clutch cover bolts in and tightened them all up for dad.

Comment

What a great experience with your son!!! Good job dad!

And thanks for bolstering my Brat thread with a pic! Looks like you are going to have a quality piece, in that Brat. I'm anxious for more!!!!
                Thanks!

Comment

QmEqFHt.jpg

I stole this pic out of the Projects/Builds forum. A guy named Imari from Canada. I think it's a great example of a Brat (except for the Clip-Ons)

I hope he doesn't mind too much.
                  Last edited by Guest; 02-24-2016, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    Cafe, nothing on it that doesn't make it go, stop or turn, designed to be a race bike on a budget. If it happens to look cool that's just a side effect, the intent was performance and performance only. A few still are, but most modern ones are "cafe style", in other words made to look like an old cafe racer, without any thought for performance at all. Two very distinct types.

Brat, a really good German sausage.

Bobber, the result of a kid with an L, a hacksaw and no supervision.
                    I think we agree again.
                    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Not to be a smart azz. But can someone give me a explanation for the use of exhaust pipe wrap on a motorcycle. I've used similar wrap on my Oldsmobile but that was because the exhaust pipe had a hole in it...
                      My Motorcycles:
                      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                      79 1000e (all original)
                      82 850g (all original)
                      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Makes the pipes rust, hide dents, look hideous doing it. Keeps things near the pipe a little cooler. Actually the science behind it is the pipe stays hotter, the exhaust gas inside stays thinner and goes out the pipe with less restriction. Probably works but it's not worth all the rust.

Actually I might do it to hide the ugly pipe going on the 550/650, but I'd sure rather find a nice pipe.
                        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Back in the 90s, I wrapped the headers in my 70 Corvette. I think mostly because they heated up the car and the starter too.
                          There was a lot written about a tweak of HP, but then people started talking about how much it shortened the life of their headers.
                          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

There's an easier and neater modern solution... get the pipes ceramic coated instead of chromed/painted... it works very well. I have no issues with the head from my high pipe despite it running under my ankle... and about 5 minutes or less after riding you can touch it without getting blisters...
                            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Ok, I'm drinking the Photobucket Kool-Aid.
                              Let me see how well it works...

Again... This is NOT my bike, it's another GSR guy who has a bike that I thought should've in this thread.
                              Thanks.
                              Last edited by Guest; 02-25-2016, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Ok. Ok. OKAY!!!!

So that was WAY better.

Thanks to to all of those that Brow Beat me until I succumbed to the pressure.

Comment

Working...
                                X