Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

which one of these headlights do you guys like best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which one of these headlights do you guys like best?

I'm planning on getting one of these, I just can't decide which one.

3 led headlights.jpg
    LED headlamp 1
    27.78%
    LED headlamp 2
    66.67%
    LED headlamp 3
    5.56%

I like the second one bc the first it looks like it has those angel eye thing around them? not much of a fan of those.

Comment

I like the second one, too, it looks less "busy" than the other ones.

Comment

It would be nice if we could see them or at least know what they are.

Links to the items would be icing on the cake.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

click on the pic and it gets bigger

Comment

I would guess the light pattern might be a relevant discriminator, but we have no such info.

Comment

Yes a shameless lack of detail. Form does follow function after all.
              I choose 3 as two is trying to hard to look normal.

Comment

I asked about LED headlights in this topic:

Currently, my 1st choice for a 7” LED headlight is Truck-Lite & 2nd choice is JW Speaker 8700.

Comment

I wouldn't buy any of them. To expensive! I put an ADVmonster bulb in my 1100g's existing headlight. There are better ones than the one I bought. You should search the forum for some of the past threads on the subject.
                  Last edited by Charlie G; 11-12-2015, 09:03 PM.
                  sigpic
                  83 GS1100g
                  2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I hated riding at night until I installed the Truck-lite headlight a few weeks ago; rode home from work the next night and had a smile from ear to ear the entire ride.
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thank you, Shameless.

The light shown as #1 says it's currently unavailable and there is no price given.

The light shown as #2 is pretty much what I have in my 850, except I have the rectangular version.

The light shown as #3 is the popular choice for the Harley crowd, but they buy the version that has "H-D" embossed on it and costs about three times as much.

I have seen a comparison test that had the earlier version of #2 (Trucklite Phase 6), the current version of #2 (Trucklite Phase 7) and #3 (J&W Speaker Day Maker sold by H-D). If I remember the test correctly, each light excelled at one or more functions, but the overall favorite was the Trucklite Phase 7 (light #2).

If you are changing your headlight to achieve a "look", that is a VERY expensive way to do it. If you do a fair amount of riding at night, why don't you have your new light yet? Keep in mind that these lights draw less than half the current than stock lights, so you will also want to be sure to have a series-type R/R, like the Polaris or Compufire, installed to avoid frying your stator.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                        I wouldn't buy any of them. To expensive! I put an ADVmonster bulb in my 1100g's existing headlight. There are better ones than the one I bought. You should search the forum for some of the past threads on the subject.
                        +1 ON THE ADVmonster bulb. I have one in my ES's stock reflector and it is incredible the difference it makes over the cheap eBay LED I had previously.

But if I had to choose, I'd go with 3, provided light spread and pattern was equal on all 3, which it won't be...
                        ----------------------------------------------------------------
                        2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Except the Cyclops is better

Comment

Am certainly no expert.
                            But its my understanding that prior to around 2000, DOT lighting standards called for something like 20% of the headlight output be directed toward overhead signs.
                            And that headlights designed after the DOT standard change have better lighting patterns.

If the Truck-Lite is too expensive, than a good cheaper option worth considering would be a newer reflector + LED bulb.

Another plus for the Truck-Lite & JW Speaker headlights is that they are DOT compliant.
                            When researching headlights for the cafe project, I was surprised at how many are “not for road use”, or “not for highway use, or …

Comment

Working...
                            X