Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boy did I screw up...

Hi errbody.

So I had the tank off setting the float height on the 300, and it ended up on its side with a trail of gas down it from the cap. Lifted and wrinkled the clear coat really bad. My hasty attempt at damage control ended up with me pulling the emblems, cleaning the tank off going over it with some Krylon clear(which gave it a semi-glossy sheen to it), but it still shows where the gas-dissolved clear coat was.

Will a bit of color sanding take care of this? Is there a better clear coat to use?

Color sand and use spray max 2k 386 0061 catalyst dried clear.
    1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

Comment

I used the SprayMax on my bike and really liked it, it does hold up to gas well. Be sure to follow all of the safety procedures, and wear a respirator while using; it is serious stuff and can make you sick if you ignore the instructions. You can buff it to a very nice shine.
      Last edited by CrazyCloud; 11-15-2015, 12:51 PM.
      Regards,
      Jason

Comment

Thanks fellas, yall are awesome! I'll take pics of progress, though it may take awhile.

Comment

Yep 2k catalyst clear is the way to go on fuel tanks. Very gas resistant. I used the colorrite version when I painted my R6 tank, and 4 years later, it still looks great and is hard as nails.
          1979 GS550, 2003 R6, 1998 XR400 Dual Sport, 2004 V-Star.........

Decisions, decisions, what to ride, today.
          sigpic
          My GS550 Build

Comment

Working...
          X