Painting a chrome handlebar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painting a chrome handlebar

I bought this old handle bar from a gs something something, my goal is to get it black and put on my 450.

so my question is, is it worth it cost-wise and if anybody has a proper "how to" id they would like to share some with this total paint newbie.

Thanks all image.jpg

I'd have it powder coated. But that could cost as much as buying a new set.

Comment

Spray paint. Rough up the chrome first and use an etching primer if you have one.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Look into Duplicolor Metal cast paint. I've used it on bare metal before, and it was pretty impressive. You'll still need to rough up the chrome a little as Ed mentioned above. And no matter what you do, paint on bars will ALWAYS get scratched.

Comment

I'd second the idea of powder coating. I don't think those bars originally came on a GS.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I'd be curious to find out what "GS something something" those bars came off.

I seriously doubt they were on that bike when it left the factory.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Looks like dirt bike bars to me.

Comment

Not really worth it when you can buy a set of black powdercoated MSR ATV bars for under $30 at about any moto shoppe. I have ATV Lo bars on my V-Strom, and ATV Hi on my KLR, and there are several other bends available if you like.

If you're really determined to use these, just sand 'em down as best you can and slap on a coat of Rustoleum Gloss Black with a foam brush. It takes a week or so, but this stuff eventually sets up to be reasonably durable, and is easy to touch up. Spray bomb paint never seems to harden at all.

Oh, and leave the throttle area unpainted.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

like everyone said, you gotta rough the chrome up really well. paint won't stick to chrome for long.

Comment

Hey everybody, thanks for all the great advise, originally, i bought the bars as a way to learn, and try out some different things. But i think i´m gonna go with the ATV bars, i really like the look of a dirt bike bar on a GS450.

Comment

Working...
                    X