Question about 2k clearcoat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about 2k clearcoat

So I recently resto molded my 850 and am almost done with it.
    I used Duplicolor paint and clear from the local auto store. Tank came out great however in retrospect I realized I should have used 2k for clear.
    The tank has been cured for 30 days and I have not wet sanded or rubbed it with rubbing compound yet.
    2 part question.
    Will the 2k go over the duplicolor clear without ruining my paint job? Is it compatible?(It does look good now)
    And if it is compatible and will not screw up the current paint job ,should I wet sand the orange peel before I apply the 2k over the duplicolor clear or just tack cloth the tank and apply the 2k over the undisturbed Duplicolor high gloss clear?

The Duplicolor site is very good, and has a lot of info. Try youtube too.
    Myself, I think any bit of gas will dissolve a solvent based paint. I only use pro automotive paint and clear.
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

It will need sanded regardless cuz its sat for 30 days. regardless of what was used it has now hardened and closed up. It will need sanded to make a new surface for adhesion.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Chuck is correct. The base coat will need to be sanded. If it's a solid color, you can get away with scuffing it and then apply the clear. If it's metallic color spray a couple more coats of the color and then the clear.
        1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Boy I'm in trouble Larry. Lol
          Its a metallic paint AND I have pinstripe lines painted .
          (Painted tank black, pinstriped then painted silver and removed tape to reveal the black lines)

Any chance I could just lightly sand the clear and apply 2k over it?
          To have to repaint this whole thing would be a bummer. I don't know if I have it in me right now.

Comment

I'm not a professional. This is my first ever tank job and I like it. I can live with "decent to good" results.
            Like has been said I didn't use pro paint materials anyways.
            If I can get away with 2k sticking to what I have right now I can live with it.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Even if you had used 2K from the jump it has sat 30 days and the same principle applies. From what i have learned its do repetative coats within 24 hrs or its sanding time.
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Looks great, though!
                      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

You don't have to sand it intense, the clear just needs something to hold onto or it'll peel off.
                        You have to sand down all those ridges left from the tape anyway.
                        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Gray scotchbrite to scuff the old clear should be okay. I don't know if the 2k is compatible with the other paint though. You best test in an inconspicuous area before betting the farm.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                            You don't have to sand it intense, the clear just needs something to hold onto or it'll peel off.
                            You have to sand down all those ridges left from the tape anyway.
                            Correct about the tape ridges, they really clean up after the wet sanding.
                            I guess that about the best I can go for, light sanding and test/ try the 2k as Ed mentioned.
                            Like I said, it's not a high dollar paint job, but I like the results. If the 2k messes it up, I can only do better next time .

Comment

Looks great! I really like the grey frame, is that powder or paint?
                              ----------------------------------------------------------------
                              2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Working...
                              X