81 GS450 needs a facelift...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS450 needs a facelift...

Hey everyone I hope someone out there can help me....

My cousin has a very sad looking 81 GS 450. I'd like to help him out, by making it look a little cooler. I have a few questions that maybe someone out there can help me with.

1) Will the tank from a 81 GS450L interchange with the bike I have. I have the boxy, square looking tank.

2) I have heard that the rear rim and tyre from a GSXR will direct swap out on my bike. Is that true? If not does anyone know one that will to get that wide tyre look?

3) That seat is the ugliest thing I have ever seen. I am looking for something that is a little more simplistic. A one seater, or something a little more low, profile. Does anyone know any other bike seats that interchange with it.

We are on a tight budget. Usually I build 60's and 70's muscle cars, so I am handy, and have the tools, but am unfamiliar with these bikes. As I was looking through the gallery, there is some real talent in this group. Some of the custom bikes are really what I am looking to do. Any help is greatly apperciated.

Thanks,
    Rob

The "L" model tanks are hard to swap out.
    Wait wait wait....my bad. I see you're talking about putting the "L" model tank on a "regular" model frame. That should be easy. The other way around is where you run in to hell trying to make stuff fit.

Dm of mD

Comment

Yes thats what I want to do. The "L" Tanks are more like a harley tank, and thats the look I was going for, and they are more available. Are the fenders interchangeable as well?

Comment

The front fenders are definitely NOT interchangeable between any of the "standard" GS bikes and the "L" models, because of the leading axle front forks on the "L" models, and the resultant offset in bolt mounting locations for the front fenders.

I not sure about the rear fenders on the 450s, but I know for sure that the rear subframe on my 1979 GS1000L is different from the other "standard" GS1000 bikes, and I would guess that would also be the case with the 450s. Therefore, the rear fenders are probably not interchangeable (but I don't know for sure).

Comment

more questions

I have seen pics of what an 82 550L looks like with the nice round tank, and rear fender, and thats the look I want. I have a line on a tank, thats cheap, but I need to know if the fender will work. Also, what is up with that trumpet shaped exhaust? It says right on there not to remove it, but I was going to weld straight pipes on. Any thoughts?

Comment

Heh, pipes are some of the 1st items changed. I laughed when I saw that on my wife's bike. Put what you want on it, but changing the pipes will more than likey require you to rejet/adjust your carbs.

The previous owner welded automotive glasspacs on my 450. They work:

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SgApAwoVN!!YDRwTk6*F37NW73hznc*LYyaaM3SCg1NKCZgUE nCZYCf5!hOs5lttzf9yYXMukcNulgKaMhoaULF0F5qpTnreZLf *r7MhjTHF1HsZPX*ylA/P4240013.JPG?dc=4675469436600258274[/img]

Comment

You can really change the look of that bike with some cheap streetfighter kit.

Check Ebay for streeetfighter scoops, fairings, and seats. They are there often, and cheap. Very popular mods in the 80's, and all those modded bikes are being parted out now.

And this is just cool:

Comment

Any clue where I can find a bikini fairing or small flyscreen? I have had no luck at all in my searches for them. Seems they are more popular in England than here.

Comment

EBAY or JCwhitney.com

Comment

bgmart450, I have some sort of fairing in my basement for a 450...let me take pictures of it this weekend. I have no idea what style it is, just know it's small and black.

Comment

Originally posted by dedfish
                      bgmart450, I have some sort of fairing in my basement for a 450...let me take pictures of it this weekend. I have no idea what style it is, just know it's small and black.
                      Cool man. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X