Modifying the "L" seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modifying the "L" seat

So the past year I have been working on my dads 81 GS850L. Dad had his hips replaced this year and is itching to ride this beast, that being said the L seat with the drop from the passenger buts pressure on his hips. He can sit on my GS and the geometry of the peg position and the fact he can scoot back makes it much more comfortable for him. Has anyone modified a stock L seat to where its more flat, there will be no passengers on this bike just him, so I thought of flattening the whole seat out and making it level that way he can scoot back. Any one done anything like this or have ideas with photos?

Replace the bike, not the seat. Ls are extremely uncomfortable, the Gs and Es are as comfortable as anything ever made.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

What's with hating the "L" seat? It works great on my "T" (I don't mind comments about it either)

Here's what the OP wants...a seat that doesn't have the drop portion...more smooth...

I suppose you can't put a "T" seat on an "L" so I can see tkent's suggestion.

Ed
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

You mean there's no section in the Suzuki repair and modification manual showing exactly how to do this?
        Looks like you're gonna have to write your own seat modification manual Bro.
        After all, it's a custom tailoring job for your Dad, and only you have him available for test fittings.
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I have been trying to also modify the L seat to make it more comfortable.
          After several attempts at cutting it down, and adding foam, and moving it around, I finally hit on something rideable for the past eyar.
          Now I am going to another plan -- but here are some pictures....
          The next seat will be BLACK (I used some extra old covering I had laying around for testing)
          And hopefully much more comfortable -- Although this seat was good enough for 4000 miles of commuting every day all summer
          But after 50 miles I was ready to get off -- I wold like to at least be comfortable until I need fuel - and that is over 100 miles .

Currently in the Stable :
          2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
          1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
          - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Its not that we hate the L seat but after his hip replacement its hard for him to sit in a 90* bent at the hip for any extended period of time. Dad loves his L and I don't mind riding it but if I could scoot back another 2-3" it would be way more comfortable for me and he agreed it would be better for him too. Where the rise starts from rider to passenger is where I feel most ergonomically comfortable. I will start modifying it and when I get something done I will post photos. I'm thinking of making a café racerish seat on the stock pan maybe add more foam to the front to even out the curve and raise the seat up.....decisions decisions

BTW your T seat looks pretty badass on your bike

Comment

Wingsconsin has the right idea to build up the front. I used the same cover and kept the step on my seat but carved out the foam and put in Sargent Supercell foam. They have several different types of foam based on how firm you want the seat. The OEM foam gets too soft IMHO especially if the bike has spent any time outside.

Sargent Cycle Products provides high-quality aftermarket motorcycle seats and accessories to create the ideal riding experience.
              82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
              81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
              83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
              06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
              AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Piling up the foam is the bad way to do it, I tried that on a bike a long time ago.
                I suggest you buy a seat that looks like it will fit and be comfortable, then build a bracket to support it.
                "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                  Piling up the foam is the bad way to do it, I tried that on a bike a long time ago.
                  I suggest you buy a seat that looks like it will fit and be comfortable, then build a bracket to support it.
                  Good suggestion. My "L" seat was put on with adjustments to the snap-on location that lines up for my "T" seat to also fit. Of course, it could have a tighter fit but it will take some adjustments. I have pics of the bracket and the spacers/washers that were used somewhere. Maybe I'll try and find it later.

Ed
                  GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                  GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                  Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                  Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

If you want to keep the same seat cover, I wonder if you could cut the stepped section way down and then replace the foam with foam of much less density. That way, it would fill up the space under the cover when not being sat on but would sink lower when you sat on it so that you could slide back without sliding up. Maybe the cover would just fold or wrinkle when you slid back, compressing the low density foam. Who knows?
                    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                    1983 GS 1100 G
                    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      Replace the bike, not the seat. Ls are extremely uncomfortable, the Gs and Es are as comfortable as anything ever made.
                      Nothing wrong with L for right sized person. With decent handlebars, the seating position is perfect for me- and I like the step seat as it offers butt support for unexpected bumps. Different strokes for different folks.
                      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I didn't know they made people shaped like that.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

my 80 gs 1000L I just took a knife,cut off the hump,had it recovered, it was great.
                          future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Finally gave up and had a pro do it...

After many attempts to build one myself I finally gave up and sent my seat pan to Diamond Custom Seats
                            Mark (owner of Diamond and Hartco) has already done 3 other seats for me for past bikes ; including my current Goldwing so I KNEW it would be great. But trust me on this...it is not for the overly budget conscious ... This seat will break the bank..At near $500 without the back rest it was an absolute commitment to keeping this bike, but I was already upside down on the bike and plan on keeping it and riding it for years.
                            Currently it has around 35,000 miles on it - but with an entire refresh down to the base gasket including all new vale seals last year it is only 4000 miles into it's new life.

IMG_20160228_155741435[1].jpg <<<---- Click the pic
                            Last edited by Wingsconsin; 03-09-2016, 11:15 AM. Reason: add picture
                            Currently in the Stable :
                            2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                            1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                            - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

You paid $500 for the seat wow, well if you happy with the seat than is worth it.

Comment

Working...
                              X