GS1000L seat alternative?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000L seat alternative?

Anyone using one of these seats? Two styles for the GS1000L and I think other GS models.

I have not but at $200 - $300 shipped, these seats are in the same pricing territory as a really nice custom-made seat from a local upholstery shop.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I was looking at this one:

I'm probably going to ask if they could modify it just a little so there's a little bit of a passenger seat. My stock seat is pretty rough, and the pan has a bunch of rust. They have complete seats (in addition to foam/cover kits) so I wouldn't have to re-use my pan.

Comment

If you're going to retain the seat lock and have a passenger, you may want more pillion padding than what that seat provides. My current seat has very little and my wife's biggest complaint is that the lock puts an immense amount of pressure on her tailbone.
        Charles
        --
        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by gs45082 View Post
          I was looking at this one:

I'm probably going to ask if they could modify it just a little so there's a little bit of a passenger seat. My stock seat is pretty rough, and the pan has a bunch of rust. They have complete seats (in addition to foam/cover kits) so I wouldn't have to re-use my pan.
          If youi get that seat, I think you will loose the barrel seat lock that sits in the rear of the seat. Not sure how the seat would be retained. I sent them a note through their website asking about the other seat and the use of the keyed barrel lock and got no response.

Comment

Originally posted by geol View Post
            If youi get that seat, I think you will loose the barrel seat lock that sits in the rear of the seat. Not sure how the seat would be retained. I sent them a note through their website asking about the other seat and the use of the keyed barrel lock and got no response.

The he barrel lock at the rear of the seat? My lock is on the left side of the bike, is that not the norm?

Comment

Seat lock location on the 1980 GS1000GL. Lock mounts to underside of seat pan and is barrel shaped pointing to the rear.

seat_lock.jpg

Comment

Hmm, see mine doesn't have that. It latches at the helmet lock visible in your pic right in front of the shock. Must be a 79-80 difference.

Comment

Suspect it was the major improvement that justified the 1980 price increase. Wonder why the seat lock in the tail end of the seat didn't catch on? hehe

Comment

Working...
                  X