quick easy cleanup rear shocks/springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quick easy cleanup rear shocks/springs

I had the shocks off my 81 GS850G to replace the rear tire. While off I decided to clean them up a little. I don't have a spring compressor, yet, so I decided to see how plain white vinegar, aluminum foil and a nylon Harbor Freight brush would work. I dipped the shock in some vinegar, left over from when I cleaned the fuel tank. Then used the brush to clean in between the spring coils. I used the foil, dipped in vinegar, to clean the outside of the coils. Rinsed in tap water. Whole process took less than 5 minutes

Not perfect but cleaner and looks better to me.

Man you're sure getting some usage out of the left over vinegar, looks way better.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
      Man you're sure getting some usage out of the left over vinegar, looks way better.
      You noticed that did you? Yeah it works really well on hard and chrome metal. Doesn't really do a thing for aluminum. I'm still looking for something that removes corrosion from aluminum as easily as this. So far all I've found is sand paper (wet/dry), emery cloth and lots and lots of rubbing/buffing with a metal cleaner like Mothers.

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
        Still plenty left over for a side salad.
        https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4442/...678005be58.jpg

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
        Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Well that looks pretty good to me. Might have to use this on my rears as well to clean them up!

Comment

Working...
          X