Paint scheme for GS1000ST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paint scheme for GS1000ST

Hi all. I have a 1980 GS1000ST and it's ready for paint after finding all the correct parts. The bike was originally red and white but I prefer blue and white and I also prefer the 79 SN paint scheme. Now I want the bike to be original as possible so do I keep it red or can I go blue? And would it be wrong to use the SN colour scheme? I have noticed some euro '80 models are painted as per the '79.
    Oh and was the '80 ST considered a Wes Cooley rep or just the '79 SN bikes? Because I'm named after Wes and the bike is a gift from my Dad so I'd like to make it a Wes Cooley Replica.

Thanks

Red is best

Keep it red, worth more when original. Look in here for original paint to see where everything goes. Also view the rest of that site to find more pics and magazine test of most good suzukis........

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

And FFS, download a genuine manual from Basscliffs site if you havent got one already.

Comment

I'd be inclined to stay with the red. They are rarer and look cool. Everyone wants the blue and white. I'm waiting for a GN125 Cooley replica any day now
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

IIRC, The '80 Red AU is a different scheme than we had in the US. I would suggest keeping the original color and scheme. I believe that keeping things as original as possible will typically yield a higher value.

Edit: But who am I to tell Wes Cooley what he should do with a GS1000S?

Comment

thanks for the replies, after removing all the plastics the original colour is red then its been painted blue then green then brown
          the tank is blue/white. the fairing was from the UK and its red under its dark blue paint. why did so many people paint their bikes back in the 80's??

tanks being repaired now but trying to source the decals. plus i don't know if i trust the painter to fit do the 2 tone correctly and apply the decals perfect
          so i may paint the base coat and do the decals myself then get it cleared by the pro.

also i need the correct handle bars its fitted with 6in riser bars and it fowls on the bikini fairing, will a 2in riser handlebar fit?

and i need 2 front indicators, was there other bikes that had the rectangle plastic indicators like a later GS/GSX? i can't find anything for an '80 GS

Comment

GSX 1100 should have same indicators. not sire about the stem length

Comment

Not sure if this is the scheme you are after: http://www.diablocycle.com/GS1000S-1...Decal-Set.html

Comment

i have ordered the decals from motographix here in Sydney and the tanks been dropped off to get repaired, dropping the rest of the plastics to the shop on Saturday along with all the photos and colour mix charts i can find, when he is up to painting he needs to bike to make sure the lines match front to back and hopefully in 3-4 weeks i'll have it painted.
                i have a new front to ready to fit so now all i need is front blinkers, handle bars and a new screen.
                I also need mufflers, it has short alloy bodied mufflers that look horrible so after black or chrome megaphones for it (anyone know where to get them from?)

i am missing the plastic frame that goes under the seat mine was badly damaged and was tossed out, know now i should have kept it an repaired it.

Comment

I'm not going back to original with mine since it was missing so many parts, but you may be able to get a new shield from Gustafsson. I got the smoked one since I'm going for the darkside of Wes Cooley, but they make it in clear or a multitude of colors. http://bikescreen.com/
                  :cool:GSRick
                  No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                  Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

So what colour and scheme you painting it?

Comment

Your color choice comes down to if you are going to sell the bike or not. You are obviously preserving the bike so that should be enough for that bike's history.
                      Hondas
                      '73 ATC70 '85 XL125S '02 XR650L
                      Suzuki
                      '83 gs750t vin#551 '97 DR650
                      Kaw
                      '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by unfinished View Post

i am missing the plastic frame that goes under the seat mine was badly damaged and was tossed out, know now i should have kept it an repaired it.
                        That frame is the same as the E model 1000 bikes. Not overly difficult to find in the States, but not sure about your area.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

blue, its was available from factory and its a bit rarer here so going for it.
                          plus i like blue better

maxresdefault.jpg

Comment

unfinished.....who in sydney is doing your paint job?

Comment

Dapto Smash, i got hold of them as they do a burnout car that i like (Meltem Corolla), that car is resprayed monthly and it always look good.
                              the owner took an interest straight away and even studied up on the history of the bikes and he knew all the colour codes before i could find them.
                              ha also want to do a photo log for his website. he mainly does restorations not insurance work.
                              here are some pics of the multi-coloured history of the bike

Comment

Working...
                              X