Anyone "wrap" their GS in vinyl?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone "wrap" their GS in vinyl?

I won a very cheap ebay auction that net me enough vinyl to cover my whole bike -front fender/tank/covers/tail- in Vvivid8 gloss chrome red....I just haven't gotten the pair to do it yet{chuckle}. Currently my cycle is painted in mustang redfire via the PO....should be black w/gold pin stripping if it was still OEM. I like the current color, but that chrome red looks cool too - picture it with gold tank/cover badges. Link below to the color-
    Shop for SP Conform Chrome Redonline. Browse our selection of vinyl wrap supplies, colors and textures (carbon fiber vinyl, matte black vinyl) and more!

My question is, has anyone covered their bike it this or any vinyl...and what did you think of it...looks/maint/wear? Gas spills on the tank are also what worries me, they say you supposedly give it/any a quick wipe and it's fine....that's what they say.

I had my 1150 professionally done in vinyl. It sucks for scrapes (but is easily and inexpensively repaired) and does NOT deal with fuel well at all.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

You should fur it.

Comment

Some people are so retro ...
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Sounds like, retro 60s Christo art???
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
            I had my 1150 professionally done in vinyl. It sucks for scrapes (but is easily and inexpensively repaired) and does NOT deal with fuel well at all.
            I wondered about that...knee rub...tank fuel dribbles....got any pics?

Comment

Originally posted by JamesWhut? View Post
              You should fur it.
              Uh, no!{lol} I grew up with one neighbor had a carpet covered van and the other guy down the ways had a custom painted van{mural}...no fur though!

Comment

The whole idea came about when grabbing burl wood grain vinyl for my old cars metal interior window trim and dash...things kind of snowballed from there.
                I figure this two ways;
                1) it was cheap{roughly $50}
                2) it's easily removable if I don't like it

I'm sort of surprised the cafe/custom guys aren't using the metal look or carbon fiber vinyl on some of their builds....heck, there's even glow in the dark vinyl out there.

Comment

I don't have any particularly great pics at present, but the bike looks good. Rubbing is no issue, but fuel can make it blister if you don't immediately clean it.IMG_20150625_153805608.jpg
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                    I don't have any particularly great pics at present, but the bike looks good. Rubbing is no issue, but fuel can make it blister if you don't immediately clean it.[ATTACH=CONFIG]45437[/ATTACH]
                    Black, silver and green matt...nice. As for the blistering, they say that any gas needs to be cleaned off immediately or it'll result in damage....they say a quick swipe of the windshield cleaner that gas stations have will work. Do you use any kind of wax to help protect it...I'd suggest rat wax for you since it's meant for matt/flat finishes. Site {Vvivid} states any wax, sans abrasives, that comes in a plastic bottle, will work on/for gloss vinyl.

Comment

I use Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax per the recommendation of the installer. Clean it with Simple Green cut with water.
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

I did my GS in the carbon look vinyl wrap. The stuff I used is pretty thick. The tail section and side covers were easy,the tank was much more difficult with all the bends and conturs. I ended up having to cut and overlap the front and rear corners. The front fender was even more difficult I ended up after two attempts doing it in three pieces. The arc of the fender and trying to pull down the sides it would bunch up and i tried heat and that helped but too much heat would cause it to distort or rip. I must say this was my first time wrapping anything. I immediately wipe off any gas drips and haven't had any problems.
                        sigpic1982 gs750e 1186 oil cooled engine USD front mono shock rear
                        1994 gsxr1100w
                        1981 gs1260dragbike (this one I've owned for29yrs)

Comment

Originally posted by akckhim View Post

I did my GS in the carbon look vinyl wrap. The stuff I used is pretty thick. The tail section and side covers were easy,the tank was much more difficult with all the bends and conturs. I ended up having to cut and overlap the front and rear corners. The front fender was even more difficult I ended up after two attempts doing it in three pieces. The arc of the fender and trying to pull down the sides it would bunch up and i tried heat and that helped but too much heat would cause it to distort or rip. I must say this was my first time wrapping anything. I immediately wipe off any gas drips and haven't had any problems.
                          Forgot to ask...do you remember what brand you went with...just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesWhut? View Post
                            You should fur it.
                            I'm fur that idea. A nice chinchilla.
                            1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                            1983 GS 1100 G
                            2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                            2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                            1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
                              I'm fur that idea. A nice chinchilla.
                              Eh, if I did, it'd probably have to be Cheetah.....

Comment

Working...
                              X