No announcement yet.

Anyone "wrap" their GS in vinyl?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw an old station wagon one time years ago that somebody wallpapered. Good laugh that day.
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by akckhim View Post

I did my GS in the carbon look vinyl wrap. The stuff I used is pretty thick. The tail section and side covers were easy,the tank was much more difficult with all the bends and conturs. I ended up having to cut and overlap the front and rear corners. The front fender was even more difficult I ended up after two attempts doing it in three pieces. The arc of the fender and trying to pull down the sides it would bunch up and i tried heat and that helped but too much heat would cause it to distort or rip. I must say this was my first time wrapping anything. I immediately wipe off any gas drips and haven't had any problems.
      I really like the pinstriping here.
      Current Bikes:
      2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
        I really like the pinstriping here.
        It's a repo stripe kit from replica graphics place in Canada
        sigpic1982 gs750e 1186 oil cooled engine USD front mono shock rear
        1994 gsxr1100w
        1981 gs1260dragbike (this one I've owned for29yrs)

Comment

Originally posted by akckhim View Post
          It's a repo stripe kit from replica graphics place in Canada
          +2....love the retro look....new vinyl with oem striping.
          Certain shops can actually print out your pattern onto the vinyl, but add the extra cost and worse, indexing troubles....nah.

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
            I saw an old station wagon one time years ago that somebody wallpapered. Good laugh that day.
            Lol....that's bad....My old '62 Galaxie was covered in house paint, via roller, when I got it.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
              Forgot to ask...do you remember what brand you went with...just curious.
              I got the 3d carbon from this place
              sigpic1982 gs750e 1186 oil cooled engine USD front mono shock rear
              1994 gsxr1100w
              1981 gs1260dragbike (this one I've owned for29yrs)

Comment

Hello all, (first reply) I recently used some "3D vinyl carbon fiber wrap" I got from ebay to cover the plastic on my '93 gsx1100g . I'm pleased with it, course the old paint looked like brush on rustoleum with huge runs.
                There was a deep scratch (like been keyed) I sanded a bit yet it shows through pretty clear despite thick wrap.
                I removed the tail section plastic and what a pain to keep the curves from wrinkling.

The stuff is stick on so I plan to cover the small wrinkles with , another sticker, perhaps a "trucker girl" angel and devil or I'll cut a metal design to epoxy on ...the stuff might be good to cover nice paint to protect it, then peel off later for still fresh paint (?) as well.

It is what it is, sticker. came across real carbon fiber on ebay too and perhaps if it's just cosmetic regular fiberglass resin would do as hardener(?) . For myself it'd be about the same trouble the vinyl was. Oh, also I tried clear coat spray-paint on the vinyl but it made it look more just black without as much texture although it dried back with texture.
                Having trouble figuring out posting images since I'm NoOb for now.

Comment

Originally posted by BurntKittyForge View Post
                  Hello all, (first reply) I recently used some "3D vinyl carbon fiber wrap" I got from ebay to cover the plastic on my '93 gsx1100g . I'm pleased with it, course the old paint looked like brush on rustoleum with huge runs.
                  There was a deep scratch (like been keyed) I sanded a bit yet it shows through pretty clear despite thick wrap.
                  I removed the tail section plastic and what a pain to keep the curves from wrinkling.

The stuff is stick on so I plan to cover the small wrinkles with , another sticker, perhaps a "trucker girl" angel and devil or I'll cut a metal design to epoxy on ...the stuff might be good to cover nice paint to protect it, then peel off later for still fresh paint (?) as well.

It is what it is, sticker. came across real carbon fiber on ebay too and perhaps if it's just cosmetic regular fiberglass resin would do as hardener(?) . For myself it'd be about the same trouble the vinyl was. Oh, also I tried clear coat spray-paint on the vinyl but it made it look more just black without as much texture although it dried back with texture.
                  Having trouble figuring out posting images since I'm NoOb for now.
                  I've seen U tube vids where they clear coated 3D Cf vinyl and the end result was a real loss of texture/look due to the added clear coat...1st lite coat it started to fade and by the 3rd....well, you know. Funny part is all of the vids went "gloss" clear coat....no one tried flat or satin clear coat.

Comment

Just to update my previous reply:
                    I went over the few small wrinkles with a miny heat-gun (much hotter than a hairdryer), (care needed because it could melt the vinyl) the extra heat and pressing on spots made the wrinkles mostly unnoticeable.

I hadn't done the front fender yet and used more heat and worked much slower to re-apply and smooth the wrap when a wrinkle would form. Decided to coat it with 2x coverage Rustoleum clearcoat since it gets subjected to more, it came out so good in the sun that I coated the rest with clear. Also I saw a carbon fiber bike in a shop and it looked pretty similar to the clear coated version. I'm very pleased with the results now on this particular bike.

Watched some vids on sand-casting and "green sand" casting and daydreamed about eventualy an aluminum sand-cast of plastic covers and tail section some day anyhow. This is plastic wrap on top of plastic so not like worse than paint on plastic IMO really...My tank is bare metal and either going to flash rust it then blacken it with a chemical OR gun-blue it and clear coat it , so I'm pleased with the carbon-fiber (looking) side and tail section.
                    I've polished my fork-tubes to a luster and the sides of engine and driveshaft cover. Polished aluminum Looks better than chrome too IMO...Would like some stainless cables now. Been trying to avoid themes and vanity and style all-together, but trying to make most of it on a budget, really like this bike (my gsx1100g).

Comment

Working...
                    X