Trying to find the right red 1979 GS850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to find the right red 1979 GS850

I ordered the pin stripe that matches the original on my 79 gs850. It is colored burgundy-orange-burgundy-gold-burgundy. Is that burgundy color on the decal the color that the paint should be? My original paint is so faded that it looks pink and I am trying to do a full restore for collectors insurance.
    Attached Files

I'm trying to remember the pain schemes that came with the 79' 850, black was one for sure, I seem to think the maroon didn't come out till 1980 but I'm sure someone with more info will chime in. Just so you know, you don't need to be too worried about the colour when it comes to ICBC, as long as there's no rust showing anywhere, no visible dents and the paint isn't something weird they will pass it. Hard to tell from the photo's but your paint doesn't look that bad. Oh...just noticed. ICBC will not pass pods.
    Last edited by azr; 05-19-2016, 03:34 PM. Reason: keep finding more
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I am not running the pods anymore. They were scrapped awhile ago, stupid purchase, they fell apart. I was just waiting for the airbox boots and filter. The minute i put the airbox on it started running 10x better. The clear coat on my paint is in nice shape but the paint under is faded very randomly, almost like camo. Very weird, my father had someone repaint it a long time ago but it now looks like crap. I am okay with it but would love to put money into the bike to get cheaper insurance in the end, kind of a win win in my eyes. Another question, Does anyone know where to find the exhaust that will help it pass, I found the MAC one and am willing to buy it but Im not sure if it will pass with the turnouts at the end instead

Comment

Trevor's had bikes pass with V&H pipes 4 into 1. Don't by the Mac products, they're crap. I've had a 79' 850 pass before with welded on Dunstalls to the stock 4 into 2.
        Rob
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I painted my baby.

Here is mine:

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewinVictoria View Post
            ...would love to put money into the bike to get cheaper insurance in the end, kind of a win win in my eyes.
            What am I missing? Putting money into a 1979 motorcycle is an investment?!?
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

What you are missing is that this bike in particular has been in my family since 79 with a great story along with it. Also it is very fun to ride. I am youngish and want it to last a long time, also I make too much money and have no kids, so what the hell, why not?

Comment

The 850's are great bikes!! smooth like butter and will outlast virtually anything out there, great all round bikes. And when I had my 79' 850 I rode that thing at 8'000 RPM all day long. Sure they won't 'snap' like a chain drive but then again you don't need to worry about a chain period
                Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                  What am I missing? Putting money into a 1979 motorcycle is an investment?!?
                  $250/year versus $750. The $250 covers multiple motorcycles, but you can only have one plated at a time.

Can't use for work.
                  '83 GS650G
                  '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I'm with Rob on the colour. I saw a blacked out Virago with collector plates and a number of things that didn't fit the scheme. The owner might have done it after getting the plates, but I don't think so.
                    '83 GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                      $250/year versus $750. The $250 covers multiple motorcycles, but you can only have one plated at a time.

Can't use for work.
                      So you just move the license plate from bike to bike, depending on which you want to ride that day?
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                        So you just move the license plate from bike to bike, depending on which you want to ride that day?
                        You've got it.
                        '83 GS650G

Comment

Perfect, about the color not being identical. I found a beautiful candy apple red that is so close to the burgundy that i think its supposed to be. Not being able to take it to work, well, who really works these days anyway. I know I try to work as little as possible, except now that i have a suzuki, I am always working, on it, but that is fun. Thanks guys for all of your input.

Comment

This site has pics of the 79 GS850G:

Appears to be red, blue and black offered in 79. The red doesn't look burgundy to my
                            tired eyes....

Comment

Working...
                            X