Is Clay Bar a scam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Clay Bar a scam?

The more I read and the more childish and simplistic youtube I watch the more I think Clay Bar is a scam.
    I used a cheap package years ago on a car and was impressed but I think the smoothness imparted was due to the slipperiness of clay being applied to the paint and not by any latter day deviation from the laws of physics.

The notion that a plastic bag over the hand is going to amplify the feel of contaminants is absurd to me.

Are there any engineers here who can debunk this mythy notion?
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

You are going to have to provide a link or three to show what you are talking about.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
      1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

It isnt a scam it is just old tech in a new unneeded package to make people go WOW!!!!. It is Polishing compound in a clay like form. If you want the best polish get a bottle of DuPont #7 auto polish, it rocks.
        1981 GS1100E
        1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Comment

OK, I just watched that ONE video linked, there was nothing about a plastic bag over the hand.

Keep in mind that I am not an auto detailer, but that video also goes against what I have heard previously about how to handle the clay while using it. I have heard that you drag the clay bar in one direction only, not rubbing back and forth.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            I have heard that you drag the clay bar in one direction only, not rubbing back and forth.

That's new to me, but it's possible. I've used the clay bar for ages, including on my '06 Civic, which looks remarkably good for being in its 11th year of service. I love the results.
            and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
            __________________________________________________ ______________________
            2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

No scam about using a clay bar on the paint. It helps remove small particulates that are embedded into the paint. A pre polishing/waxing process as it were. Highly recommended.
              Last edited by Nessism; 05-26-2016, 12:33 PM.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I use a clay bar on my Mustang. It works great. You may not notice the effects on a motorcycle, but try it on the trunk of your car, especially if you park under a tree.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
                Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Using a plastic bag over your hand does indeed reveal roughness, too. You can also feel more with a rag. They amplify the feel of trapped dirt and particulates. Clay bars are the real deal.
                  1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

I think member Cipher is a scam.

Comment

Working...
                    X