Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine paint question

Hi all.

Got my head back from the machinist's (thanks headbikesmopars!) and looking to start putting my engine back together soon. I want to freshen up the paint, but I am NOT going to blast it clean first. My question is what prep work can I do to spray some black over the existing black engine paint? I have thoroughly degreased the jugs and head, and thoroughly wiped/cleaned with laquer thinner. Planning on using either the vht engine enamel or the caliper paint. I know there are better products out there, but for my purposes, these will be ok. I am going for a refresh here, not a full concourse restoration, good enough is good enough.

Should I spray primer over the existing paint?

Do i need to sand (as best i can with all those fins....) or is the existing rough paint enough?

any additional cleaning needed? Wiping with the thinner and a white cloth comes back clean.

Thanks for any input!!

greg
    1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Want a long lasting results, Prep Prep Prep the surface is very important. I would light sand everything as much as possible, clean surface with a degreaser, 2 coats of HT primer, 2 coats of HT paint. I never painted an engine so not sure what brands are good. Good luck

Comment

The existing factory paint has no primer under it. I have read that it is similar or actually is Gun Kote.

I just painted my 1100ESD engine. I however blasted it and did the Gun Kote process. There is no primer involved with Gun Kote just the Parkerizing treatment which is sprayed on then follow with the black.

If it has the original black paint then just a really thorough cleaning and degreasing with a pre paint degreaser, not laquer or acetone, will be the best you can do. then scuff as much as possible with burgundy scothbrite and follow with the cleaner again, and again.

Then spray with your favorite black, no primer required. I used the VHT caliper paint on my 1000 engine and it has held up really well so far, just make sure you follow the instructions for baking.
      1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
      1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

I am leaning toward the caliper paint myself, i have had good results with side covers and (?!) calipers....
        1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
          I am leaning toward the caliper paint myself, i have had good results with side covers and (?!) calipers....
          I used the VHT caliper paint on my cylinders and head and after a couple of years it's still in great shape. I used the aluminum colour, baked as required and it seems to be tough as nails.
          '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
          https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

I have used VHT caliper paint with virtually NO prep and I consider it a 20/20 paint job.

Yep, 20 feet away at 20 mph, it looks pretty good.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I used a degreaser on mine and then brushed lacquer thinner between the fins to be thorough. I used a silver engine paint I got at AutoZone or something like that.

A side note, when I had my KZ1000, it had a black engine. After cleaning, I'd spray it with Armour All. Made it look brand new!
              https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4442/...678005be58.jpg

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
              Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Never heard of the Armor All trick! Will have to try that sometime, thanks.

Originally posted by Deuce View Post
                I used a degreaser on mine and then brushed lacquer thinner between the fins to be thorough. I used a silver engine paint I got at AutoZone or something like that.

A side note, when I had my KZ1000, it had a black engine. After cleaning, I'd spray it with Armour All. Made it look brand new!
                1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
                1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Working...
                X