GS450L Brat Style Seat Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450L Brat Style Seat Options

I have seen some nice fabricated seats for GS bikes but I was curious if anyone has purchased a brat style seat and installed with any success. More specifically, I am looking at the Dime City Cycles flat or upswept "brat" seats.

I plan on chopping the frame and adding a rear hoop. I also have no issues cutting/welding other frame components to make the seat fit, I am mainly looking for feedback on length and widths of aftermarket seats.

Based on my measurements, the seat should fit.

I ordered one today so I will update this thread on my findings.

Comment

I guess we are left to look up "brat style seats" to see what you are talking about.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

OK, I Googled "brat style seat" and found some rather uncomfortable-looking, lightly-padded upholstered ... SLABS.

I guess I value my time in the saddle just a little to much to subject myself to any one of those.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Those pics make my butt hurt.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            OK, I Googled "brat style seat" and found some rather uncomfortable-looking, lightly-padded upholstered ... SLABS.

I guess I value my time in the saddle just a little to much to subject myself to any one of those.

I think it's supposed to look BadAss to the "My mom wouldn't let me have a tricycle" crowd.

The red one with those sh:tty Emgo shocks is really going to leave an impression.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Look how little space there is between the rear fender and the wheel. Not much suspension travel there!

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                It depends on the foam used and how well it is designed. Lots of sport bikes don't have a lot more foam than that and can be quite comfortable if done right. If not done right then the rider will have a tough time making it to the next bar to show everyone how cool and hip he is.

Mark
                1982 GS1100E
                1998 ZX-6R
                2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

OUCH! I can't imagine riding any of those for more than 15 minutes or so. Why anyone would replace a stock seat with something so hideous is far beyond me.

The hell with looking cool. I prefer to enjoy long rides through the foothills and mountains!

Comment

That's just it. How many of these have you seen in nice pictures or on Craigslist, and how many have you seen out being ridden?

I have seen none on the road.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

While not a "brat" seat, it is similar. Custom made. Its all in the padding used. Very comfortable. I've been on day long rides without any issues.

Comment

Wow, did not expect to get bashed so hard for asking a question.

This is my second bike and I don't plan on riding it across country.

Moving forward I will save questions like this for a different forum.

Comment

Ever see Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man? Harley said, "I would rather be dead than un-cool" bwhahahaha If you can look cool long enough to ride to the bar and park the thing, what is a little case of hemorrhoids?

Comment

And the hits keep coming, awesome.

Comment

haha. Try this, potato potato

try a search for "Brat" too.
                              yes I'm a curmudgeon too but it's young people I hate! Seriously, just do a nice job and avoid cutting up the really good stock examples(save or sell the decent stock tanks seats sidecovers etc if you can) and I'll be glad you feisty whippersnappers are giving these new life (and keeping part suppliers making parts for ours too!)
                              Last edited by Gorminrider; 06-29-2016, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X