Powder coating bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powder coating bolts

Has anyone got powder coating on some bolts and it last after wrenching?

Looking at doing the bolts on my Stator and Generator cover in teal or black.

Changing screws on Carb covers to bolts and do them teal or black as well for accents.

Not sure if will hold up after wrenching them in.

It's pretty tough, it might work if you use a six point socket that fits well and be careful tightening then up.
    I haven't done bolts, but I have done bash plates on dirt bikes, even after landing hard on big rocks the surface is barely damaged.
    Have drop tested a few parts too, they usually don't even get scratched.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I have done some of the larger bolts on an engine and frame. The secret is to have the guy doing the powder coating to NOT do the thread; only the head. It will hold up on these type bolts decently because they don't get a wrench or socket on them often and so the coating won't tend to crack. If you do smaller, the coating will likely be fine if you just do the heads. And teal? Really hehe

Comment

I think you'd be better off with anodised ones - PC is not really going to work for a bolt head.
        Current:
        Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
        VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
        And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Oh, I just assumed you were doing the powder coating yourself. I have to do a couple bash plates and such the next few days, I'll do some bolt heads too and see how it does.
          I think it will be fine on the ones that don't get removed all the time like axle nuts, especially the ones that don't get torqued all that tight. Standby a few days, I'll find out.

Sorry, I don't have any teal!

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Oh, I just assumed you were doing the powder coating yourself. I have to do a couple bash plates and such the next few days, I'll do some bolt heads too and see how it does.
            I think it will be fine on the ones that don't get removed all the time like axle nuts, especially the ones that don't get torqued all that tight. Standby a few days, I'll find out.

Cool, Thanks.

Looking at Valve cover bolts in teal, Generator cover bolts in teal or black and Stator cover bolts in teal or black.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post

Any update/ luck?

Comment

No, haven't had a chance to even look at any powdercoating.

Comment

Another option…
                  Black metric pan head screws:
                  McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

Black metric socket head cap screws:
                  McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

Comment

I don't know if this will help, but i have a few bolts on my suburban that were powder coated black. The EGR block off plate i got had the allen head bolts powder coated and other than making it a tighter fit to get the bit in, I have recklessly attacked those bolts and not chipped any paint off and they sit on top of a very hot running SBC 350. Only heads up i can give you, buy some new tools that aren't dirty and all marred up and you should be fine. Just make sure that they are powdered on the head only(not the threads or the under side that makes contact with the surface its bolted too-you will get a false torque setting otherwise) and it is a thin coat on the tool surface so you don't have to sand anything to get the tool to fit.

Comment

Working...
                    X