• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chains, leather, rubber belts.

Zipper mask?
    sigpic

SUZUKI:
    1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
    HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
    KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
    YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Personally I prefer belt drive first because its similar advantages to chain (sprocket changes called "pulley" though),
      Less noisey , MUCH safer , and lighter (than chain or shaft),
      and the KEVLAR BELTS last some incredible mileage like 50,000 Miles or more (can't remember ATM but it's quite a lot Mi.s)...

The Shaft drive is great too IMO but the main disadvantages that it typically ROBS about 6-8 Horsepower from the rear wheel. Heavier overall weight. And Difficult to change the gear ratio. I think that's why my GSX1100G , It ONLY has 140 MPH top speed...Yeah but it'll get there real quick anyway.

When I was 17 y.o. I got one rear sprocket and no front sprocket or chain replacement for my Maxim 400cc, ...The chain came off during acceleration on luckily a back road, NO wreck but over 100 foot skid w/ rear wheel locked on chain , and momentum bent the handlebars...Never cared for chains since.

IDK, whether the belts have a proprietary patent pending OR limited by horsepower...Thinking the first.
      IF so I'd (for one) love to see an aftermarket Belt drive option myself.

Just that. That's all for now. Gotta get these kids to the waterpark for a bit now.

Comment

There's a reason the Japs never went to belt drives for sportbikes.
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Is it me or has this thread gone all Frank Zappa?
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
            Is it me or has this thread gone all Frank Zappa?
            I bought the leather seat. Don't have it yet, though.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Shiver me timbers!
              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

Seat is nice, came with a nice-sized container of "protectant."

I'm wondering about the original seat. Is there a quick or easy test for leather versus vinyl or 'pleather'?
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post

I'm wondering about the original seat. Is there a quick or easy test for leather versus vinyl or 'pleather'?
                  Lick it! Can you not turn it over and look? Settle down just joking.
                  81 gs 1100 E One owner,Me.

Comment

Thing I understand best from the protectorant directions is, "Wipe off the excess dressing the next day."

It's like pouring a quart of 10w-40 onto the seat.

Comment

Thing I understand best from the protectorant directions is, "Wipe off the excess dressing the next day."

It's like pouring a quart of 10w-40 onto the seat.
                      Not familiar with it. Is it Corbin?

Actually I finally ordered a new battery... to Order online is cheaper, and better battery (due to shelf-life issues at stores I'm thinking, then on top, don't need to return for "core fee"... I can take old batt. by scrapyard and get IDK, atleast $5 or $6 back (next time I'm there)...

Then a project GS1000 I was trying to get sold...even found a carb for it that'd work or make work probably (on this forum)...

Anyway, I decided to work on my own leather seat (cover) this eve... It's a single piece of nice leather I cut off a leather sofa that was next to a dumpster. It is barely enough and has one small hole I'm getting to barely under the seat pan...

It's an ugly reddish brown stain so last weekend it got soaked in cleaning vinegar. (Didn't dent the ugly reddish brown)
                      In afternoon I put a steel 5 gallon bucket with water on BBQ grill and followed the label on black RIT fabric dye (2 x $2.50 ea.)...
                      It's coming along...Next it's get a hot wax soak (in same steel bucket probably) ...

Lastly , soon, it'll get either staple-gunned right over my ripped hole ridden vinyl OR going to see if my $5 harbor freight pop-rivet rivets will have clearance. (There are some thin spots of foam on sides, I have handfulls of small sheetmetal screws too but they're even too long...

It'll be nice to have leather soon, no ripped vinyl with duct-tape residue.. luckily haven't sat in a rain soaked foam yet. just luck though.

Bunch of bikes for sale near me, driving me nuts ,they're always in reach and not possible or gone (like earlier)...A few GS's nearby. Couple look nice or good deals, then there's random FIVE Goldwings for cheap...like WTF(?) cool but why??? Maybe could get wife on back, maybe. definately could pick up some chick on one of those anyway...LOL must sleep.
                      Goodnight.

Comment

Harley seat, came with "protectorant" (gel, cream in a tub). Seat's already got a 'crease' in it. The installation instructions 'warned' of this - called it "character".

Comment

the smell/taste of the material for one, pleather stretches, and leather doesn't melt. if it's fresh vinyl, it may feel like leather, but the smell/taste of the material is different. if it's vinyl, it will stretch without much hand effort. and last but not least, it'll melt, leather won't. take a lighter to an inconspicuous area and see whether it burns, or melts.

Comment

Originally posted by 60ratrod View Post
                            ...take a lighter to an inconspicuous area and see whether it burns, or melts.
                            I'll respectfully decline.

Comment

hey, you asked. another way that I just remembered is if you can look at the edges of the material, like in a seam. it'll look like there's cloth in the middle.

Comment

Working...
                              X