Polishing GSX-R wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polishing GSX-R wheels

Have any of you had wheels polished, or done the job yourself? If so, how did they turn out, and can they be cleared after polishing?
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

IIRC it costs about $400 per wheel if you want them looking like chrome. I had a set that were close to polished but in the end I sold them as I was worried about keeping them from oxidizing (constant maintenance with silicone spray would probably be adequate here in AZ.)

Ultimately on the 18" wheels I still have I just used A/C stripper and cleaned off the powdercoating and then lightly brushed the polished lips (1000 grit) and sprayed them with a Por-15 Clear using their recommended preparation.

After about 8 years they is some slight oxidation under the clear, but it is probably where rock chips started the work. I still have teh set although they need a new spray of clear. If you can find a clear powdercoat that would be the best but don't think that really exists.

I used satin clear.

Last edited by posplayr; 08-06-2016, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Gotta admit, those look great, Jim. I will be media blasting them this coming week.
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
        Gotta admit, those look great, Jim. I will be media blasting them this coming week.
        I still have the set and the rotors. I will be driving to CA this Sat as well.

Comment

I've got both wheels and access to a bead blasting cabinet, so they will be stripped this Sunday.
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
          X