Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

whats the diffence between the gs850g and gs850gl models?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whats the diffence between the gs850g and gs850gl models?

Just curious, what's the real difference between the two models?

The L has a smaller tank, stepped style seat, and handle bars that bring your elbows in/ bend your wrists at an uncomfortable angle. More chrome on the L too!
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    1982 GS1100GK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZARCACOIDILINKSMONVNMOKTXUTWYsm.jpg Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400, 2003 FJR1300

Comment

I think the handle bars are comfortable. Be it they could be a little higher. How much bigger is the g tank compared to the gl?

Comment

Originally posted by maddman View Post
        I think the handle bars are comfortable. Be it they could be a little higher. How much bigger is the g tank compared to the gl?
        Cool, glad you like the bars. I had my wrists hurting and hands numb in twenty minutes with them. The L holds 4.5 gallons and the G 5.8.
        Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        1982 GS1100GK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZARCACOIDILINKSMONVNMOKTXUTWYsm.jpg Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400, 2003 FJR1300

Comment

GL has:
          leading axle front fork
          Different tank -- smaller, more of a "peanut" tank shape.
          Different brake caliper brackets
          Slightly different frame with plastic covers behind steering stem
          81+ GLs have 16" rear wheel
          Chrome rear fender
          Stepped seat
          Different side covers
          Different instrument cluster
          80-82 GL has electronic ignition with mechanical advancer; 82+ G has electronic advance.
          Slightly different 5th gear
          Slightly different exhaust
          Different handlebars, as mentioned, but the stock handlebars on all models were awful and pretty much always got changed.
          Chrome front fender
          I think the airboxes may be different.
          6" chrome headlight
          Different turn signals some years

G models have:
          Painted front fender ('79 G has chrome front fender)
          17" rear wheel
          Plastic rear tailpiece and plastic inner rear fender.
          Flatter seat
          Larger tank
          7" headlight with black plastic housing
          Different side covers
          All differences noted above.

This is not an exhaustive list; when in doubt, ask here or compare part numbers. Most mechanical parts interchange, most cosmetic parts do not. And there are many year-to-year differences I haven't detailed here that you will need be aware of if you're buying or looking for parts.

Remember that no one selling parts on fleaBay has the slightest idea whether they have a G or GL model. If you ask, they'll just try and tell you what they think you want to hear. The GL seems to have sold a lot better than the G back in the '80s, but nowadays the more "standard" G is more sought after.

Despite what some here will tell you, with appropriate suspension updates and reasonable handlebars, both will handle extremely well and indeed feel pretty much the same. The main difference in motion is that the stepped seat of the GL puts you a little closer to the ground. And you'll be stopping for gas more often thanks to the smaller tank.

Here's my 1983 GS850G in a view that shows many of the differences. Never mind the doofy air seat and floppy tail pack... My bike is also wearing a chrome aftermarket headlight assembly. Stock for the G is black plastic with a chrome ring.

Here's a 1983 GS850GL for comparison (again, there are many year-to-year detail differences we're not covering here):
          Last edited by bwringer; 08-21-2016, 07:53 PM.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Wow! Oh I left out a couple of things
            Ok, a lot of things
            Roger

Current rides
            1983 GS 850G
            1982 GS1100GK

Comment

Very informative, thank you.

Comment

And most importantly, the G's are a lot cooler

Comment

It appears the "G" needed a kickstand or center stand to stay upright, while the "L" stood upright without any mechanical assistance. (as per above pictures)

Comment

L for Level.
                    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                    1983 GS 1100 G
                    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

I am not sure what it means, but when you look for a GS of any displacement, you will see a lot more GL models than G on CL.

Comment

Common knowledge to some i'm sure, the L stand for 'Lowslinger'. Which in Suzuki talk translates to 'custom' aka 'we tried to make it look like a harley'. The G means shaft drive.

Comment

I was looking for a GS850 for a long time--
                          There was rarely ever any G models for sale around here..
                          But I did find an L model and then spent some time working it into an acceptable ride (for me)
                          The seat on the L is torturous but I had mine re-done to a more suitable riding comfort

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Garfield View Post
                            And most importantly, the G's are a lot cooler
                            Yes but the L's are a LOT faster !
                            Sweet as L

Comment

Working...
                            X