Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to polish corroded engine covers quickly and in situ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That works. A polishing wheel is identical but uses blank canvas instead of sandpaper. That allows you to use finer polishing compounds to finish it up to a mirror shine.

Then add a coat of good clear engine paint to keep it clean and shiny.

Comment

Can you get those flap wheels in really thin widths that will fit in between the fins?

I'm thinking something like a canvas flap wheel would be great for cleaning out years-old engine grunge before hitting it with Alumiblast or just enjoying the general cleanliness and using S100 or something.

You'd probably need several, since they would get dirty pretty quickly used in this way.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks m0unds! I've never seen one of those. Second on bwringers question. Can you get one thin enough? I'm having a rough time polishing between the fins, even with a Dremel. :?

Comment

I have seen them as thin as 1/4". I have one that I use that is about 3/8" and goes between nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Jedi
            I have seen them as thin as 1/4". I have one that I use that is about 3/8" and goes between nicely.
            Thanks, i'll give it a try.

Comment

hmm, where're you getting flappers that small? i only saw ones with x grit sandpaper, nothing canvas.

i started polishing the covers today with mother's aluminum/mag polish-- removed the raunchy old clear coat from most of the cover, just to see the result. it's looking good so far, but i'm gonna definitely stick a bonnet on my sanding wheel for my drill and buff the living bejesus out of the covers while they're still attached

where could i go about getting a clearcoat for the covers?

is there any prep work needed to get in b/w the fins on the engine? i have a few dremel "wheels" that have been buffed down into pointy little nosecone shapes, and i've been using those to get the oxidation off the engine fins. I degreased it earlier today, rinsed it and let it sit in the sun to dry. seems to be working, but the fins are awfully rough, and the cotton wheels don't work the best on that kind of material, imo.

(mother's is working nicely, though, i'm pretty well impressed. I'm gonna use it on the baremetal parts of my wheels soon, and we'll see how that ends up )

Comment

Hmm, my flapper wheel came from a local hardware store, it says it is a "Sentry Hardware" affiliate if that helps.

it has lasted forever, so I don't even know if they are still sold. it would suck if they aren't... excellent for this particular application.

Comment

Working...
                X