Gs1100gk. Headlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs1100gk. Headlight

I'm doing away with the fairing on my gs1100gk. Does anyone know of a decent aftermarket headlight and bracket setup
    It’s my bike I’ll run it in the ground if I want to

Originally posted by hadaveha View Post
    I'm doing away with the fairing on my gs1100gk. Does anyone know of a decent aftermarket headlight and bracket setup
    Just buy a set of these, well maybe not exactly these but a set of oem GS1100G ears and then buy an "L" model chrome metal headlight bucket and your done. I am not a fan of the plastic bucket.

Comment

Sorry, but I will disagree on both counts.

Not sure that the standard ears will work, as the GK has larger forks. Standard ears might not fit over them.

Also, why saddle him with a smaller, inferior light just because the housing is chrome? Besides having a smaller lens/reflector assembly, there is less room in the bucket to tuck away the wiring mess that results when the fairing is removed.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Sorry, but I will disagree on both counts.

Not sure that the standard ears will work, as the GK has larger forks. Standard ears might not fit over them.

Also, why saddle him with a smaller, inferior light just because the housing is chrome? Besides having a smaller lens/reflector assembly, there is less room in the bucket to tuck away the wiring mess that results when the fairing is removed.

I thought the 1100G and the 1100GK used the same 41mm forks but if I am wrong then I stand corrected.

"Inferior light" comment made me laugh. The plastic buckets are subject to breakage and hard to find a good used one and I'm quite certain they have enough room. Also the slightly smaller chrome housing looks better.

Comment

The "inferior" part is the lens/reflector assembly. Not only is it smaller, it puts a relatively lousy pattern on the road.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            The "inferior" part is the lens/reflector assembly. Not only is it smaller, it puts a relatively lousy pattern on the road.

I have a 650E with the big headlight and my 850G has the smaller one. I'm not much of an open road night rider but I don't see much that much difference myself. I'm sure your technically correct.

Comment

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
              I have a 650E with the big headlight and my 850G has the smaller one. I'm not much of an open road night rider but I don't see much that much difference myself. I'm sure your technically correct.
              Steve is a bit of a headlight geek. You can talk to him all you want about beam patterns and such. So go ahead and take his word for it. I'm a bit surprised he didn't offer a recommendation himself, though. I've converted him to Truck-lite LED lamps, which only come in 7" forms. So, one of those in one of the plastic buckets is be awesome. I don't have a recommendation for how to mount it to the 41mm forks though.
              Dogma
              --
              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                . I've converted him to Truck-lite LED lamps, which only come in 7" forms.
                On the contrary, it is also available in the 200mm RECTANGULAR format, perfect for '80/'81 750s and 1100s.
                It would be hard to adapt one of those headlight housings to any other bike, but there are probably rectangular housings available, too.

I have one of the rectangular ones in my 850.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
                  I thought the 1100G and the 1100GK used the same 41mm forks but if I am wrong then I stand corrected............
                  GK fork tubes are differnt size AND are spaced further apart.
                  They are 43mm and are spaced something like
                  3/4 inch wider apart.
                  Mounting the headlight and front t/signals have been the difficult part of dee-Kaying a GK, and why sometimes find one for sale half done.

Front fender not interchangeable either.

Let me know if you have the stock GK mirrors (fairing mounted) for sale.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                    GK fork tubes are differnt size AND are spaced further apart.
                    They are 43mm and are spaced something like
                    3/4 inch wider apart.
                    Mounting the headlight and front t/signals have been the difficult part of dee-Kaying a GK, and why sometimes find one for sale half done.

Front fender not interchangeable either.

Let me know if you have the stock GK mirrors (fairing mounted) for sale.

Dave, I have some stock mirrors if you want them. The mirror glass has been replaced and they vibrate like crazy though.
                    Current Bikes:
                    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by hadaveha View Post
                      I like the quality, prices and colour choices from these guys. They sell the headlight brackets too.

Build your own 7" bullet style side mount headlight assembly. Great looking, high quality custom headlight.

Paul Jones
                      Last edited by nastyjones; 01-05-2017, 01:53 PM.
                      80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Those are cool!
                        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                        X