81 GS1000GL Tank vs 78 GS750 Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS1000GL Tank vs 78 GS750 Tank

Anyone following my Project:Resurrection thread has seen that I have committed the cardinal sin of adding a dent to an already dented tank without actually riding the bike. I have committed further sin by using bondo to hide previously mentioned dents and attempting to paint over them in the hopes of making them disappear..... Sacrilege, I know. Anyway, I stumbled across a couple ebay sellers in PA near me and was wondering if anyone has any experience with putting a 81/82 GS1000GL tank on a '78 frame? It has a more rounded shape and think it would look good.

Here is the tank I am looking at....

obviously it has (2) rear tabs, a different fuel cock, and a fuel sender unit, all of which I consider minor. I actually like the idea of having a fuel gauge. My concern is length compared to the original tank. My OEM measures roughly 25" upside down from the furthest point in front of the c brackets, through the valley to the rear. Seller says it is 23.25" from "front of c to back of tank not counting back mounts"

My question is: Anyone here done this? Results? I am concerned about the tank being shorter, but I have searched for hours online today with nothing conclusive. Thanks for your help!
Working...
X