rattel can your wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rattel can your wheels

i want to rattle can paint my wheels i don't have the $$ for powder coat. what cann you guys recomend. i see rustoleum has a industrail enamal out the resist chip and a high performance enamal the resist chips. i would like to use. my question is what can i use for the primer on alum wheels. can i just use regular primer or do i need specail primer. the primer i have has rust inhibitor in it will that react bad with alum since the rust inhibitor is probly zinc. can ony of you guys give me some tips and tricks. do i need to sand or rough up my rims so paint will stick?

on a side note i want to paint my springs too. i was thinking i was going to have the springs removed then soak them in some water and muric acid mix to remove the rust, then i was going to hit them with some rustoleum appliance expoxy spray paint. do you guy think this will chip off with flexing, and if so what other paint can i use.

-ryan
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

I recently found out that copious amounts of Acetone will take the GS wheels back to aluminum. Keep in mind that Acetone is nasty stuff. Are you out for a particular colour or are you just trying to get the wheels to look better?

Steve

Comment

If you want black, then the epoxy paint works great, colors are in limited supply though.

Comment

hey luke can you give me i little more info on the epoxy paint, yes i want to paint them black.

the only expoy paint i found was rustoleum applience expoy, i guess you would use this stuff to paint stoves and refrigerators, do you think this stuff would work on my wheels?

what do i need to do to prep the wheels, just clean them real well, maybe use some acetone? or can i just use denatured alchol.

on a side note here in chicago spray paint is a contraband iteam so i would love it if you could give a name of the paint you would use and where you would go pick it up. that way i can call around and save my self some miles.

-thanks
        ryan
        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x
        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

I called Mayor Daley and they are coming to arrest you right now dude, better run! :x

Comment

When I got my bike it had the original very worn finish on the wheels so i simply gave them both a wash with diesel/gas mix and rinsed them off. When dry I shot them both with ordinary enamel black spray paint. (two coats with no primer..) The lip was easy on the rear..I just started the bike put it in 1st and with some wet and dry took the paint off, plus the layer of faded laquer back to shiny alloy, then with some mothers brand alloy cleaner shined it up nice. The front was a bit harder (no mechanical assistence) but the same effect was achieved. After several thousand miles of wet and dry riding the finish is still excellent. If I had to do it again I would do the same thing... CJ

Comment

Working...
            X