Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clubman Style?

OK,

I've been riding my stock gs450 for a while now, and its been occuring to me that my bike would go from pretty neat looking to really cool looking if I changed the bars a little. The ones I have in mind I believe are referred to as clubman style. I also want to change the high stock mirrors to bar end style.

My question for the forum is twofold. Does anyone agree that these would look cool on my bike, or disagree? and can anyone tell me how much more difficult/uncomfortable it would make the ride?

My bike looks exactly like this one in the forum gallery:

Opinions and info would be much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Chad

Yes, it would look good :-) though I doubt you'll like it for long. Pick a more "sane" bar bend and I think you'll be happier. Superbike bars seem to be the concensus of what's good. That or check out your local bike shop and pick up dirtbike bars. Those were really nice on the CG125's at the MSF course.

changing mirrors is a trivial thing, and a good thing to do if you're lowering/narrowing yoru bars. Emgo makes several kinds of bar end mirrors. Take a look at them on dennis kirk.
    You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
    1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
    1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
    1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
    1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
    1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

I put some pretty flat bars on my 450 last winter. I think the lack of angle starts to numb my hands sooner than I'd like. I am seriously considering Clubmans and to a lesser degree clip ons. I talked to a guy at a shop here and he suggested that the angle on the Clubman's would be slightly more comfortable as long as the pegs are slightly rearset (as the 450E & S are - moreso than the L's)

My main worry with Clubman style bars is tank clearance. If I go for it I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

Ape's.......!!!!

Comment

I have seen clubman's installed upsidedown, that'd be close

Comment

Ya' gotta' remember that by putting bar ends on you might be smacking them around alot. Normally, your hands are at the ends of the bars, making them the widest point of the bike. With the mirrors sticking out past your hands, you might be smacking the mirrors on things as you're moving the bike around. My thoughts. 8)
            Kevin
            E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
            "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
            Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Originally posted by mcycle-nut
              Ya' gotta' remember that by putting bar ends on you might be smacking them around alot. Normally, your hands are at the ends of the bars, making them the widest point of the bike. With the mirrors sticking out past your hands, you might be smacking the mirrors on things as you're moving the bike around. My thoughts. 8)
              I put bar-ends on my wife's bike and haven't had an issue with them while moving it around. And I've been having to move it manually alot. I still haven't been able to put it on the road

I'll be getting a set for mine once I stop pouring money into her S. Bumping my hands occasionally will be worth the pain so I can actually see whats behind me without moving my head too much.

Comment

Working...
              X