Repairing seat foam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repairing seat foam?

Just got my reproduction seat cover for the GS1100EZ from Pit Replica. Really nice and very close to the stock cover. I pulled the OEM seat cover off and could see that the seat foam near the front (where the original cover always tears on these bikes) is cracked and weathered where the cover was torn. Other than that, the original foam is in excellent condition. I'm just wondering if there's an effective way to repair the cracked foam- glue it back together somehow, before installing the new cover? Thanks.
    1982 GS1100EZ, second owner, 11,000 miles
    2000 XR650R, plated

3M Super 77 spray adhesive is the standard way to stick hunks of foam together.

It's sort of a contact adhesive. Spritz one side, then the other, let it get tacky for a minute, then press together.

If you're missing foam, the repair depends on how much and what shape is missing, but generally rebond carpet padding is a good source of high-density foam for sear repair and recontouring.

And finally, you might also want to add a thin layer of foam to smooth over the funky area. This could be impossible if it's on that really thin part near the tip.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by dweller View Post
      Just got my reproduction seat cover for the GS1100EZ from Pit Replica. Really nice and very close to the stock cover. I pulled the OEM seat cover off and could see that the seat foam near the front (where the original cover always tears on these bikes) is cracked and weathered where the cover was torn. Other than that, the original foam is in excellent condition. I'm just wondering if there's an effective way to repair the cracked foam- glue it back together somehow, before installing the new cover? Thanks.
      I see no reason why you couldn't just go to a car upholstery shop and get them to sell you some foam. Ebay has some seat foam for sale as well.
      80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

A guy that I know that does car restorations told me that steam will soften up foam that is old and crusty.... for what its worth... As for torn foam I agree with the 3m spray adhesive.

Comment

I bought a gel seat insert and cut out the the old foam and fit the gel pad in there. Much better.
          Last edited by Guest; 09-18-2017, 01:57 PM.

Comment

I cut wedges out of some gel foam, pried open the original foam at the cracks, doused everything with 3M spray and then inserted the wedges. Once everything was dry, I trimmed the excess foam from the patch. Recovered with the Pit Replica seat cover. Looks and feels great.
            1982 GS1100EZ, second owner, 11,000 miles
            2000 XR650R, plated

Comment

Similar on the 850: dogs had eaten some chunks out. Bought the overpriced (but not real expensive) repair foam kit off ebay. Cut the holes a little more regular, 3M's chunks of new foam in, cut raggedly to shape. Kit came with a sheet of very thin foam/wrap...covered the whole seat with that to smoothify it, then put new seat cover on. Worked fine!
              Robin Elwood
              1980 GS 850T
              My kids wish I had a sidecar. But I don't.
              ~
              Previous:
              '79 GS 850 GN
              '79 Kawasaki KZ400
              '83 GS 650L

Comment

Working...
              X