VHT Caliper paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VHT Caliper paint

I painted the brake caliper of my 450 with red VHT Caliper paint. I followed directions and baked the caliper accordingly to obtain the hardest finished. While assembling the caliper, I managed to create several "nicks" in the paint. Just little chips that are only noticeable to me. Can one paint over the caliper paint or would the caliper need a complete stripping? Could I perhaps roughen the surface with sandpaper and recoat?

Yes you can touch it up or re-coat the entire caliper, read the directions I believe they allow that.
    2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
    2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
    1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
    2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
    1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
    1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
    1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
    Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

I originally did mine with the VHT, but I found that it chipped easily. I ended up going with powder coat, no issues.
      https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
      1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
      1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

I love the powder coating idea but haven't found any around here that's affordable. They all seem too want too much because of the specialty of their service. I thought of doing the Harbor Freight powder coating system but haven't pulled the string yet. Maybe its time.

Comment

Just touch up the chips. Baking doesn't make the paint harder, it just cures it faster.

When redoing my calipers I used Gunkote. Now that stuff NEEDS to be baked or it won't have any toughness or chemical resistance. Once cured though it's the closest thing to plating you can get.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I painted mine with VHT several years ago and baked them in the barbeque. Hung the pieces from the top rack with wire. They turned out beautifully but about 4 years later the paint started flaking off. I scraped most of it off and they are bare aluminum now. I think next time I would invest in a powdercoat system and do them that way. Maybe it is the cold winters that we have here that affected the VHT paint.

Comment

The new breed of epoxy paints are really good. I sprayed the MC's on an FJ1200 with Rustoleum Roll Bar and Chassis satin epoxy and it looked amazing. I got brake fluid all over them as well when I re-assembled the MC's and there was absolutely no tarnishing or peeling of the paint anywhere.

If you want to touch up some chips with a rattle can you can spray a small amount into the lid until you have some liquid, then apply with an artists brush onto the chips.
              Current:
              Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
              VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
              And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by VABushPig View Post
                I love the powder coating idea but haven't found any around here that's affordable. They all seem too want too much because of the specialty of their service. I thought of doing the Harbor Freight powder coating system but haven't pulled the string yet. Maybe its time.
                The HF system is what I'm using. I really like it. Just as with painting, the prep is key.
                https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
                1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

I have experience powder coating GS calipers, and I use much better supplies and equipment than Harbor Freight sells. I have a nice 70% gloss level satin black that comes close to original appearance. Yes, prep is everything and mine includes vapor blasting. Interested- let me know if I can help.
                  Alex
                  IMG_8008.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman900ss View Post
                    I have experience powder coating GS calipers, and I use much better supplies and equipment than Harbor Freight sells. I have a nice 70% gloss level satin black that comes close to original appearance. Yes, prep is everything and mine includes vapor blasting. Interested- let me know if I can help.
                    Alex
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]52598[/ATTACH]

WOW lets see some more pictures!
                    Rob
                    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I have used POR15 kits on three cars now. All were new calipers . Paint has held up great on hard driven , not trailer queens. Oldest has been on the road 6 years with no issues with chipping or paint fade. I don't spill brake fluid all over them and used care , having towels and soapy spray bottle handy . Normal shop precautions. Should add I have been using por15 products for years and they all have preformed as advertised.(check out their tank seal) Power coating is great for some applications and have a set up with a dedicated stove at the garage. If going that route, farm out the job to a professional. Big learning curve! It is expensive to assemble the tools needed and you must use the disposables (high temp tape, silicone plugs).http://www.por15.com/POR-15-Caliper-...-Kit_p_58.html
                      Last edited by Guest; 09-08-2017, 08:01 AM.

Comment

There are good reasons reason why all modern brake calipers (motorcycle and automobile) are powder coated from the factory, and not spray painted. Powder coating them is labor intensive and takes more time to do correctly than you'd expect if you have not been through the process before. Besides the critical multi-step cleaning process, there's lots of masking off required. Think about it: you have to protect the finely machined inner caliper half surfaces, the piston and seal bores, and all external/internal drilled passageways. And you do it twice for each caliper (times three calipers)- once for the stripping and cleaning prep, and then again with high temp tape for the final powder coating. As I said, the preparation is labor intensive to achieve excellent, long lasting results. I also powder coated my fork legs the same correct satin black as long as I was replacing springs and fork seals.
                        IMG_8016.jpg

Comment

Working...
                        X