79 gs850 clip ons n triple tree?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 gs850 clip ons n triple tree?

How can i go about this ....i want clip ons but dont seem to find a billet triple tree or whats comparable that i can use in the 79 gs850..please any one can give me some direction.

Why do you need an aluminum triple tree to run clip ons?

Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Dont have to be that i guess...but whatvu do with all that left behind from where handle bar use to sit

Comment

Originally posted by Gsbori View Post
        Dont have to be that i guess...but whatvu do with all that left behind from where handle bar use to sit
        The way I see it, you have a couple choices. You can grind off the nubs where the bars mounted and then file and sand to completely remove them. This alone has two problems that come to mind, one being the obvious, it being time consuming and the other problem is the not so obvious, what does it do to the strength and integrity of the upper triple not to mention what will happen if you ever decide that you want to go back to the original style bars.
        The other choice you have is to leave it as is.
        If you leave it as is, you always have the ability to easily return to the original configuration. You can easily fabricate something to fill the gap if you wish or, depending upon what your ultimate idea is, you could always fabricate a bracket that holds your tach and/or speedo and use the bar mounts as the base for your bracket which, again, keeps the bar mounts available if you ever decide to return to original configuration.

Question, have you considered using Clubman bars instead?

I wanted to put clipons onto my 1100E back in '82 but kinda went through the exact same thing you're going through now. I knew the look I wanted but decided that rather than changing the whole triple or modifying it to remove the mount nubs, I could achieve the same look by using Clubman bars instead and then if I decided to return to original configuration, it was easily done.

Just a little input to give you more ideas and a little more to think about.

Decided to add a picture:

The thing to notice here is that the bars actually extend through the slot that the turn signals would normally extend through.
        Again, just trying to give you more options.

If nothing else, it'll show you whether or not you really want to put clipons on your bike.
        Last edited by wacky941; 11-12-2017, 12:21 PM. Reason: Add picture
        http://www.visitedstatesmap.com/imag...TXUTWAWIsm.jpg

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

K..thank you for all the info..i went with clubmans but how will i do if i want to lower the front atleast 1.5 or 2 inches ..with the clubman handle bars theybare on the way and cant lower sliding forks thru the triple..

Comment

K..thank you for all the info..i went with clubmans but how will i do if i want to lower the front atleast 1.5 or 2 inches ..with the clubman handle bars theybare on the way and cant lower sliding forks thru the triple..
            If you lower them 2" by sliding the tubes up in the triples you will likely have the sliders start hitting the bottom triple at full bump. The better way to lower it is to do it internally in the forks. Are you also slamming the back end? If not you will likely find instability problems.

Mark
            1982 GS1100E
            1998 ZX-6R
            2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

K.internally by different springs or ? just need bout 1" to 1.5 front n back...

Comment

You can install a top out spacer to restrict the amount the forks extend. Note that this does reduce the suspension travel available by the amount you lower it and you will likely want stiffer springs to prevent bottoming problems.

Mark
                1982 GS1100E
                1998 ZX-6R
                2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

K thank you guys..man i have learn so much on this forum n i had never ever worked on a bike before..i done so much to this gs850..just today i did a carb zync by reading around the forum. Still got alot to learn and to do to it..thank you

Comment

Not to be a pain in the a$$ but, just wanted to give a little more to think about.

My original '82 1100EZ, I bought new in '82. Like I stated earlier, I knew what I wanted but I was worried about what would happen if I were to want to return to original configuration so that became my driver in how I would approach it.

One of the things I did was to lower the front and rear of the bike because I wanted the look of a drag bike on the street. The bike was so low that I could only put two and a half fingers between the bottom of the header and the ground (I lowered mine more than what it sounds like you are wanting to lower yours), I loved how it looked and I really enjoyed riding it but, there were a couple things I never even thought about, one being that whenever I went over a speed bump, my header scraped hard on the speed bump. Another thing I hadn't thought about was trying to get the bike onto the center stand (I could not believe how heavy that bike is when the angle is changed like that) and in order to use the side stand, it needed to be shortened because if not the bike stood straight up.

Like I said, I love the way it looked and really didn't have any problems with overall handling but the major problem that I finally had enough of was that the suspension was so stiff that going out for a nice long ride left me feeling as if I'd been in a fight and got a very thorough a$$ whooping.

The bars and seat stayed as was but everything else went back to original.
                    I really liked the bike with only the bars and the cut down seat and that is the way it stayed until the day it was stolen in 1988. My new '82 has been set up like my original '82 with the addition of the fairing and now as I'm older, I sometimes find myself wanting to remove the ClubMan bars and install the original style bars because after an hour of riding, I get tired of being leaned over the tank.

Sorry to be a pain in the a$$ about this, just trying to make sure you know that there are factors that present themselves after you get into it that you may or may not have considered and I'm just trying to give a heads up so you can have a work around in mind if you have similar experiences.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Not a problem, thanx for all the advice..im going for the cafe racer looks just think it looks nicer little lower20170912_210757.jpg

Comment

Not a problem, thanx for all the advice..im going for the cafe racer looks just think it looks nicer little lower[ATTACH=CONFIG]53282[/ATTACH]
                        Is that it?

If it is, I like the way it looks! Right up my alley!

Comment

Yes thats it still got alot that i want to do to it..but wanted to get it atleast on the road..

Comment

Seeing the picture reminds me of one other thing I always had thought about doing, don't know if it's the direction you're thinking but, I have thought quite a bit about buying a 2 into 1 MAC exhaust system for my bike, the MAC system will have a somewhat original look with a sportier appeal.
                            Seeing the stock exhaust on the bike triggered the memory.

The biggest thing to remember is that it's your bike and what you like is what matters most in the end.

Comment

Yea i seen them theybr nice or thinking of some like thisScreenshot_20171116-055103.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X