Well, phooey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, phooey

I came home from a 3-day business trip yesterday and found my bike lying on its right side in the yard. Apparently we'd had some vicious winds while I was away and it tipped the bike over. (It had a nylon cover - also known as a sail - on it.) While it was down, gas leaked out around the gas cap and kept the paint on top of the tank wet for at least a day. Now the paint is bubbling and peeling off.

What's involved in having a motorcycle tank repainted? Can an auto body shop do it? I know it's not something I can do at home. "Dust free" is about the last thing you can say about where I live.

What's involved in having a motorcycle tank repainted? Can an auto body shop do it?
    A paint job on a bike is about the same as any other body work. A good body shop can take care of it for you. Best thing you can do for yourself besides picking a good shop is to stick with stock paint scheme. Made that mistake once in the past on a GT750. Won't make that mistake again.

Comment

Use aircraft remover on the tank. I used it on the factory paint on my 900F with an 1100F tank. The paint just curls up and falls off. Kind of entertaining, lol. Match up the paint and get a rattle can or two of 2K clear. It's got an activator in it, so it sets up as opposed to drying. It's pretty forgiving. Now this is all based on whether you can paint or not.

I usually paint on my side yard, and it's not dust free and usually windy. Good luck and let me know if you need help finding the clear.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
      Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

I’ve gotten color matched single stage in a spray can from my supplier.Get your color code and go to a good auto paint shop.

Comment

Thanks guys! I'll probably check with a body shop first because there's an old dent in the side of the tank that I'd like to have pulled out. Since I have to take the tank off anyway, I might as well get both done at the same time.

Comment

Working...
          X