No announcement yet.

Absurd idea that could be cool. - Updated 11/22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do a lot of woodworking, and the veneering techniques aren't that hard. Cutting the veneer that thin is the tricky part, but it can be done on a good tablesaw or a decently set up bandsaw. The table saw is the better option for thin, not so wide, strips that are more easily bent. Buying the veneer is another option.
    Narrow, thin strips are the simplest to workwith, and epoxy is normally used for this kind of application. However, epoxy comes undone with the heat of the engine under the tank.

Harrison

Comment

You can get clear ceramic fortified paint in a can that withstands heat. I used it on my exhaust canister and it's held up well. Not sure how gas proof it would be.

Comment

with some 1/32 and 1/16" ply and balsa building a set of veryvery light saddlebags. I dunno how they would handle stuff like planecrazy carries without some padding. Hmmmm That;s something I can try while I'm still disabled :-)

As for the wood pannels on that bike...I;m sure it involved a steam box :-)
        You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
        If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
        1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
        1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
        1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
        1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
        1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Ok, so last night I was inspired. I have the measurements made up for the sidepanels, and I'm just waiting for the opportunity/motivation to build them. (Bike is laid up for the winter with a foot of snow outside the garage. Bloody altitude.)

My quandry was, what to do with the tank? Full wood is WAY outside my powers, impressive though they are.

Then I remembered something I'd rode around in as a child. My parents called it "Moby":

Monstrous, isn't it?

But sort of retro-cool. So that's the one then. The plan is to have a buick powder blue top with a strip of veneer, trimmed with shiny door trim stuff I found in another post.

I'm debating painting the white strip trimming with silver on the side panels and putting a small "Buick" emblem in it, because it'd be hilarious. If I'm digging it I can do the fenders up also. Apart from the side panels, the whole operation is a pretty basic solid color spray and epoxy-on finish.

I could also put a small dummy in a rear-facing seat attached to the luggage rack when I wanted to really show off... hehehe

Yes, when taking me out of this car back in the day my parents did drop me on my head, how did you know?

Comment

Use the glue in a well ventilated area
            Suzuki's Gs in particular are beautiful crafted machines, not barges.

Try makeing a tank and sell it to someone else, not on the Suzuk
            Keith
            -------------------------------------------
            1980 GS1000S, blue and white
            2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Originally posted by KGB
              Use the glue in a well ventilated area
              See the last post. He's already been working with the glue in an enclosed space, methinks.

Comment

Originally posted by RockyMtnRoadRash
                Then I remembered something I'd rode around in as a child. My parents called it "Moby":

Monstrous, isn't it?

But sort of retro-cool. So that's the one then. The plan is to have a buick powder blue top with a strip of veneer, trimmed with shiny door trim stuff I found in another post.
                I had something almost like that. It was a '79 Pontiac Parisienne Safari wagon. It was brown with the fake woody stuff too. Loaded. Cool car to drive. If you want retro, ya' gotta have one of the boats Ford used to make in the early '70's, ie LTD, Torino and those type of wagons. Those things were HUGE! They made the later GM wagons look like kiddie cars!
                Kevin
                E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

veneering bike parts

this is totally within the realm of possibility, you should look up vaccuum
                  forming of veneer . I use this technique to veneer all sorts of odd ball shapes, It even pulls veneers around corners, edges and the like
                  marine epoxies would be the glue of choice finished in a gelcoat ( ask any marine supply place) remember to use a softener on the veneer before starting

Comment

My first car was a Ford Country Squire with faux wood paneling. That thing was awesome. Big 'ole V8, 8 way power seats, power windows, 10 speaker 8-track tape deck and intergrated CB radio that automatically silenced the radio and came out over the 10 speakers.

You couldn't believe the amount of babes I could fit in there on the way to a Greatful Dead concert!

Man, I miss those days.
                    Currently bikeless
                    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
                    X