custom seats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

custom seats?

Would it be wise to refit and reshape a seat or find a place that does custom seats?

Nerobro is looking at taking his seat on the '80 GS550E and slimming the front of it a touch to match the curve of the tank and adding a ridge between himself and the passenger.

Do it Yo'sef...

I am currently restyling my seat into a solo gunfighter style the also matches the body contours of the bike. It has cost me about 100 bucks of foam, vinyl, and adhesive.

Try getting anything by corbin or sargent for a hunnert.

Comment

Also, if there is an upholsterer in your area (possiby a leather seamstress might do it) they are often a cheap choice!

Comment

Local guy jere in MA did the foam on my S model seat,$100.
        Well worth it. He used triple density, actually 3 different foams( is that a word "foams'?) and it is really great.

Next is the seat for my E.

But check the local guys. This guy has done some really nice hot roads and just "did it".
        even gave me back the original foam.....
        Keith
        -------------------------------------------
        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Guess I should elaborate..... I am using two different types of foam for my seat. The basic shape is carved out of the stiffest foam I could find. Inset in the "bucket" area is ultra cool memory foam (like the temperpedic mattress). It should prove to be very comfy when I get it all tweaked out. I got my foam and glue from www.foamorder.com . They were very helpful. they answered emails and helped me pick the right foam and how much to use. Basically if you want your seat to be 6 inches finished height, then use about 4 inches of the stiff foam and another 4 to 5 inches of memory foam, then squish the MF down with the seat cover. This makes for a nice, stiff yet compliant seat for your sitterer.

I am using a hacksaw and an angle grinder to shape the foam. The hacksaw makes rough cuts and the angle grinder acts like sandpaper to smooth out the surface and provide final shaping.

I also had to sandblast and fiberglass my seat pan. It was in terrible shape.

I will not be using the teeth in the seat pan when I reinstall the cover. I will be using rivets set every two inches.

good luck...

Comment

just a tip
            to cut the foam, I use an electric carving knife, my mrs. hates me doing it but hey, the bike needs help sometimes......... besides that... we have another bloody knife to cut the beef.

stay upright

Comment

Originally posted by KGB
              Local guy jere in MA did the foam on my S model seat,$100.
              Well worth it. He used triple density, actually 3 different foams( is that a word "foams'?) and it is really great.

Next is the seat for my E.
              But check the local guys. This guy has done some really nice hot roads and just "did it".
              even gave me back the original foam.....

Are you now keeping the E Keith???
              I still have that handlebar for you whenever. 8) 8)
              Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
              2000 Kawasaki Concours
              Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Working...
              X