Champagne 83' GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, here's the scoop.
    You ask the question about paint, you're gonna get all kinds of responses which will tell you to take it down to a paint store or a body shop and have the paint color matched. That's all fine and good however, it will pretty much lead you nowhere.
    I did the exact same thing years ago right here on this forum and that was the response I received. I'm not saying it's bad advice but I am saying that for the most part it's a waste of time. I would go through the whole thing as I have done so many times here before but that too would be a waste of time.
    Here's what you do, take your side cover or a removable piece that's in good condition and renders the paint you're looking for the best. Find the largest car dealership in your area that provides multiple brands and multiple models. If you go during the day, make sure it's a nice bright sunny day so you can see how well the paint matches. Being as these colors have a tone of what appears as metal flake, this needs to be taken into account. You may also use a camera with a flash to really see what it looks like and how well it matches.
    This is what I did and it took me only a few minutes to find that the Inferno Red Crystal Pearl from the 2010 Dodge Ram matches perfectly with the '82 GS1100EZ.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by wacky941; 03-30-2019, 08:23 PM.
    http://www.visitedstatesmap.com/imag...TXUTWAWIsm.jpg

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

This will give you an idea of what I did.

The side covers and the Cafe Fairing were painted with the paint from the Dodge Ram and you see how well it matched. You can do the exact same thing for the Suzuki Chamgagne Gold.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

That red matched really well. Nice thing about that color is that I can't think of a single manufacturer that doesn't offer it. It's a very popular red. Scanning is still a viable option. Sometimes it takes a bit more skill by the person doing the mixing to add a certain tint one way or another to get it just right. I 've been really lucky to have a guy that has matched paint for me perfectly for 30 years.
        1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

GM Color: Silver Ice Metallic 2019 Chevy Suburban ? Pano, is that what your making reference too ?

Comment

Purely going by your photo, i'd ask the Katana guys what they use as a match for their silver.
            1980 GS550ET

Comment

The single biggest problem you have in trying to match the paint and also the reason the paints are no longer available is because the state of California outlawed certain color pigments because they contained lead or had bad isotopes.

One thing I keep thinking about in this particular thread is, if the paint is so far gone and you pretty much have to do a total repaint which also includes badges (SUZUKI on the tank and GS1100E on side covers, plus Suzuki “S” on the tail fairing), why not just choose the color you want, whatever color suits your taste?

With mine, I had already decided that if I couldn’t find the matching color within like six months, I would paint mine either the 2009 Chevy Camaro color Inferno Orange or the Dodge Challenger color, I can’t remember the color name but, it has a look of Burnt Orange. My plan was to paint it the new color and have all the badges painted back on to match the new paint.

If keeping it original is the driver, don’t forget that the color is wrong for that year anyway.

just remember this one thing, it’s your bike and it should make you happy and we are supposed to be jealous. ��

Just my two cents worth, hope it gives you a little more information.
              Last edited by wacky941; 04-01-2019, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Rattle can the whole bike satin black. Done. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by B.C.G.S. View Post
                  Rattle can the whole bike satin black. Done. LOL
                  LOL, I've seen that way too many times. I do have to admit that I have seen some rattle can jobs that look so good that you couldn't tell but then a couple years later it's obvious.

Comment

Buy up all the bodywork from an '82?

When I had my two-tone blue and silver Camaro, everybody told me the silver would be very hard to match because silver reacts with light (old style photography - ask your grampa).

But the bodywork man said, "No, the blue's harder."
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I don’t own a suburban but I do have an 82 1100e in champagne. I was just saying when I see the suburban on the road they look close. I do not know what the suburban color name is. Wacky has the right idea about taking a side panel to a dealer but by the looks of your bike it looks more of a silver shade to me than champagne shown in the pics I posted.
                      1982 GS1000S Katana
                      1982 GS1100E

Comment

Is this color on this 83' GS "champagne" ?
                        Attached Files

Comment

looks not like the oem to me. I wonder if modern paint lays up differently than the older types. Not just the colour but the depth and clarity seem off. Not bad but off.
                          1983 GS 550 LD
                          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

guys maybe the paint is very sun faded? It looks nothing like the champagne to me but that could be the result of the camera needing to be stopped down. Its as if the metallic bits are blasting through the colour.
                            1983 GS 550 LD
                            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

So Pano, this color looks like the picture you Posted and described as "champagne"? If it is the same color as yours, then what year Chevy Suburban did you get the your color from ?

I'm considering Purchasing this Bike !
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Guest; 03-31-2019, 10:16 PM.

Comment

I didn’t paint mine, it is original. The pick I posted is not my bike but one I found online. I can post picks of mine but not until next week. I travel for work tomorrow.

I think the pic you just posted does look more champagne than silver.
                                1982 GS1000S Katana
                                1982 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                                X