Sliders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sliders

My 2016 Sportster has 3,000 miles on it. Never saw a drop of rain, never spent a night outside. My parts manual calls them "sliders", they're the bottom, wider part of the forks that hold the brake, fenders etc.

All of a sudden, they're corroded - darkened blotches, mostly on the leading edges. Fixes? Harley says I could replace them (not cheap), or have them chromed (even more money). Chrome is harder, and would better resist whatever cause the damage.

"What did cause the damage?," I asked Mr. Harley. "Sand, kicked up from the road."

"Are you kidding?!? I'm taking a super low Sportster off road?!? I can barely get her over a speed bump."

The 'bare metal polish' they sold me did nothing. Aside from the Harley incompetence, any body ever hear of anything like this?
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

My 450 has that same issue, the PO left the dirt from his last ride on the legs for 22 years when I go it. The only thing I can think of is to repolish or paint. If you do decide to go chrome, Browns Plating is the best choice, they been doing HD parts forever. Some of the parts I sent them where REALLY rough and where perfect when I got them back.
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Happens to lots of Showa and KYB sliders. I specialize in refinishing them to original appearance, not over polished- it's a 12 step process including vapor blasting, with a final gloss clear acrylic powder coat. If you take your front end off in the future for fork seals and want to refinish them, drop me a line.
      I've done many sets, lots of experience.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Guest; 04-18-2019, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Lots of time spent in prep= great surface finish.
        Attached Files

Comment

Looks like sandman has a good thing going there, but the bottom line, Rob, is that the clearcoat has gotten pitted, allowing spotty bits of corrosion. The only solution is to strip off all the clearcoat. Then you have the choice of leaving them bare, paint, polish or chrome.

If you leave them bare, you will have whatever finish your stripper left, likely a more-satiny finish. Cleaning them occasionally will restore that finish.

Paint can look good on the right bike with the right color scheme. A satin black usually looks a bit better.

Polish will leave a nice, mirror finish that can look good on the right bike, but it's not for everybody.
          Looks particularly good on an L bike. It does require some minor touch-up once or twice a year.

If you REALLY like the shine of a polished fork, chrome has the best shine and is easiest to care for.
          Of course, it's also the most expensive.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

They hold up well if the preparation is thorough- it's critical that you get underneath existing corrosion. These are my '77 RD400D fork legs that I refinished in 2008.
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X