Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1978 GS550 tank project........what were they thinking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 GS550 tank project........what were they thinking?

Finally had enough time to work on the tank on the newly acquired 1978 GS550. Got all the liner out, soaked the inside with metal rescue for a few days, welded up the pinhole underneath and then removed the "bubble" in the paint on the top. When I say bubble, I mean a 2-1/2" diameter bubble! It seems that the previous painter did not take the tank all the way to bare metal, and the bubble was caused by the primer not sticking to the original paint that was left on the tank. It really doesn't look like he sanded the low spots, just tried to fill them in with extra thick (1/8") coat of primer. Anyway...took the old 5" random orbital with some 60 grit to it tonight and this is what I have to work with as I begin the painting process. I've got some Caswell's liner on the way, so I'll probably wait until it is installed before starting the painting. I have to get "all" the old paint off and then some putty before primer, paint and 2K clear. At least I have experience with this as I just finished the second repaint of my GS750 earlier this week. Just waiting to buff the clear on it!

IMG_0228.jpg
    Ron
    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
    1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
    1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
    1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
    1999 Honda GL1500SE
Working...
X