Front fender droop 82-83 GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front fender droop 82-83 GS1100E

I am painting a 82 GS1100E. Every 82-83 GD1100E front fender I have seems to have a deformation from age. The straps in the front of the fender under the triangle cutout seem to bulge outward from the weight of the front fender. I looked at all 5 I have and they all have a varying degree from to significant to a slight slight outward bulge. Is a new fender the only cure, and are they available. I was thinking about epoxying some thin metal straps inside the fender to eliminate the bulge. Has anyone dealt with this.
    1981 GS1100E
    1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Picture(s), please?
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by metalfab View Post
      I am painting a 82 GS1100E. Every 82-83 GD1100E front fender I have seems to have a deformation from age. The straps in the front of the fender under the triangle cutout seem to bulge outward from the weight of the front fender. I looked at all 5 I have and they all have a varying degree from to significant to a slight slight outward bulge. Is a new fender the only cure, and are they available. I was thinking about epoxying some thin metal straps inside the fender to eliminate the bulge. Has anyone dealt with this.
      I suspect it is wind loads that are deforming the fender but I agree that they all seem to have it. Mine certainly does. You might have a hard time getting metal strips to stay glued to the fender but I would say that is worth a shot. Make sure you extend them up into the curved portion of the top of the fender a bit to prevent a sudden stiffness change that might cause cracking issues.

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
      Picture(s), please?
      This is the best one I could find from when I was repainting things. It is the two slender pieces that extend forward that bow and you can see a bit of it in this shot. Ignore the grotty paint, there were experiments in progress and that is not how it finished.

Mark
      1982 GS1100E
      1998 ZX-6R
      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

I have one of those front fenders and wondered why it's made out of soft material...other than metal.

Interesting topic.

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I have the 1100 fender on the 850, because it fitted perfectly and there's a humungous brace built-in under it. Does the job really well, to the point I don't think I need to bother putting an additional brace on.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
          X