Polishing a 1100 alum swingarm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polishing a 1100 alum swingarm?

can you polish a 1100 aluminum swingarm without it's looks going to hell after it gets wet or after putting 3000 miles on it? i was told not to polish mine cause the factory put some kind of coating on it to protect it.

has anyone done this?

and if you can polish it, what's the best way.

-ryan
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Yes you can polish it.

Yes it will look like crap after a while because you can't reach certain places when it's on the bike.

Yes it will corrode after it gets wet a few times thats why they painted it.

Comment

I polished mine on my 700. It was coated and paint remover doesn't phase the coating. I ended up using Easy-Off oven cleaner. It will turn the aluminum black but it's not a big deal since you're polishing anyway. It doesn't take much work to keep it shiny once it's polished.

Comment

Polished aluminum swinger

Hey Guys

The GS aluminum swingarm is factory anodized silver. The anodizing can be removed by haveing the aluminum parts glass blasted to remove the anodizing.
        Then sand it with 400 grit wet and dtry sandpaper. then Polish the swingarm using jewlers rouge purchased at any truck stop for about
        $6-8 and polish the parts using a drill or other rotery tool taht spins at 2500 rpm or greater. and when you achive the desired shine coat the aluminum parts with a coat of clear urithatne that can be purchased at any hardware store. The Kraylon outdoor clear in a can is great for this aplication. just make sure uyou clean the parts with soap and hot water and do a final polish with a clean soft clothe prior to the clear application.
        This process can be also done on steel parts provided they get 2-3 coats of clear.
        Best of luck , Archie

Comment

If YOU polish it, there are local shops that will re-annodize it for $70
          You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
          If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
          1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
          1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
          1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
          1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
          1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

There is a Chrome one on ebay right now.

Comment

Working...
            X