Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paint airbox and battery box or leave them rusting OEM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paint airbox and battery box or leave them rusting OEM?

My new-to-me 79 GS850 looks ok, but the airbox and battery box are out of the bike right now as I'm thoroughly going through it after the PO had it stored and not running for years.

While I wait for parts (valve shims, carb o-rings, gaskets, throttle cables, etc), I was thinking about painting the airbox before I reseal it and the battery box as it has a lot of surface rust on it. I'm an average painter and trust myself on doing an 8+ out of 10 job on something like this with my HVLP gun and some solid prep.

Is this a good plan, or is the bike worth more unaltered? If paint, what product and color is closest to factory original? A single stage satin black enamel is what I'm thinking. Not trying to overthink this; just want to honor the bike.
    1979 Suzuki GS850G The Michio Zombie: The Dead is rising and hungry for brains
    1980 Suzuki GS850GT, Collecting these things is a funny new bad habit

Clean it and paint it. Anything is better than rust. Your 850 will love you for it.👍
    My Motorcycles:
    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

anyrust you can get rid of is always a +++, paint to keep it from returning. You aren't talking of painting the plastic airbox, are you? That may not be the best idea. " "ArmorAll", "Son of a Gun", or "Back to Black" for the plastic.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
        anyrust you can get rid of is always a +++, paint to keep it from returning. You aren't talking of painting the plastic airbox, are you? That may not be the best idea. " "ArmorAll", "Son of a Gun", or "Back to Black" for the plastic.
        Nope! haha. Not painting the plastic anything!! I've never had plastic painting turn out satisfactory and if it does, it doesn't last long. I was talking about the steel airbox that houses the filter and the carb boots. Mine doesn't look super awesome. The battery box is worse. There's also rusting around the rear brake resevoir mount on the frame, so will likely touch that up to prevent rust if I can find a close match on paint.

Anybody have a single stage match they can recommend? Thanks everyone!

Comment

My standards are pretty low but I hate rust. DEFINITELY clean and paint even if it's just Rustoleum gloss black with a brush....which matches pretty well once it's been on awhile...you can mix the lower gloss with it if it's too shiny for you.

if you do elect to "clean-and-dab" some other bad places are the front of the swingarm,...and the tripletree too.

Comment

If you wire brush it and then spread on Loctite rust converter (Extend) it will hold up pretty well even without paint. It forms to a black plasticy coating.
            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
            '79 GS100E
            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Thanks for the tips, guys.

Hit them with some Rustoleum Satin black. They look great. Bike should be up and running this time next week for the first time in years.

Comment

Working...
              X