Copper Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copper Exhaust

Has anyone seen or experimented with using copper tubing for exhaust headers and pipes?

temp

Wouldn't last, the heat would ruin them in no time, as well they'd be too soft to have any strength. Would discolor in no time too....Mike

Comment

I agree real copper wouldn't work well at all for the reasons given.

Can you get a copper-colored powder coat or high-temp paint? You might not be able to polish it, but it would probably look really neat.

In world of choppers, brass and copper are starting to turn up here and there as a more interesting contrast to all that furshlugginger chrome.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

No offense to your knowledge,
        but copper can withstand enough heat to weld to steel. In fact I have to work from the copper to the steel to make them blend. I wouldn't think that the exhaust temps would rise more than four to five hundred degrees at the heads. Since he copper wouldn't be soldered it would be welded it shouldn't come apart at the seams.

Comment

I agree, copper would be usable as an exhaust material,BUT it would discolour something chronic and you need to remember it is very soft. It is not a good choice in my opinion.
          Dink

Comment

It makes an interesting fuel tank though. Pipe guards, fenders, you name it.

Just ask Jesse James

Check it!

Comment

If you decide to stop polishing, the pipes would look pretty neat with a verdigris patina.

Might take a couple of years in the weather, unless you do it with acid or a coating.

The melting point for pure iron is around 2,800 degrees F, while pure Copper is just below 2,000 degrees F, both far above normal exhaust temps. Both are subject to considerable variation, depending on the alloy.

Copper is a far better conductor of heat, making it hard to weld. I believe it also expands more than steel when heated, which could be problematic. And how would copper (or a copper alloy) stand up to vibration? It seems that it would fatigue and break pretty quickly, but there may be alloys that get around this.

I think keeping the copper polished would be the biggest nightmare. Even steel pipes need to be coated with chrome so that they have some degree of corrosion resistance when heated. Is there some similar coating for copper, or a copper-colored chrome coating?

Think about copper-clad pots and pans -- they withstand the heat and corrosive effects of various foods, but keeping them looking presentable is a nightmare.

Sounds like some brave GS-er needs to step up and offer up a spare Honda or something as a laboratory rat...
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I'm not certain about this, but I seem to recall from my schooldays that the reason you don't use copper pipe as an exhaust system is because the exhaust gases chemicaly react with the copper to produce a really toxic gas. I think the copper is the catalyst in this reaction.

Comment

hardens

As well, copper work hardens and would eventually get too brittle....MIke

Comment

Recently I got some pipe cromed for a bar foot rest, I chose a copper finish and was astounded at the result, it was exspensive but looked like the steel pipe was made of copper, I reallywouldnt know how it would stand up to heat though, it did look very cool and I was thinking of getting my spare engine outa cases done in the copper finish

Comment

Exhaust gas temperature at the head is 11-1200 deg F. It can be as high as 1400 F if youre running a bit lean.

Earl

Originally posted by GSinTX
                      No offense to your knowledge,
                      but copper can withstand enough heat to weld to steel. In fact I have to work from the copper to the steel to make them blend. I wouldn't think that the exhaust temps would rise more than four to five hundred degrees at the heads. Since he copper wouldn't be soldered it would be welded it shouldn't come apart at the seams.
                      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Jesse Who?? :twisted:

Yawn!!!

Comment

Jesse Who?? :twisted:

Yawn!!!

Comment

Hi Guys,

I've seen the American Chopper boys build a copper bike on the telly. They ''simply'' had the headers and exhaust copper-plated. Strong carrier that withstands exh. gasses + cool copper look.

See http://www.orangecountychoppers.com/themes.php ''Statue of Liberty bike''

Greetings, Marco.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
                              I'm not certain about this, but I seem to recall from my schooldays that the reason you don't use copper pipe as an exhaust system is because the exhaust gases chemicaly react with the copper to produce a really toxic gas. I think the copper is the catalyst in this reaction.
                              You went to the same school I did! I had a Hilman Imp fail an MOT for this exact reason about 20yrs ago... CJ

Comment

Working...
                              X