No announcement yet.

what brand primer to use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you can get access to the pro gun, definately use it. As far as which primer, I prefer 2K. It's a high build primer. As far as the rattle can goes, go to a paint store and get a can of "self-etching" primer. It's about $10 a can but it will protect your tank from rust and you can use the 2K primer over it. If you're going to have it professionally painted you really should have the right primer under it. If you can't get the right primer, just let the painter prime it.

Comment

i talked to a guy that said he can prime it for me for pretty cheap, i plan on buying the primer for him to spray. He also sells verious pgp products what type, name, number.... and every thing elses will i need to get the best recomended primer for both the metal tank and the plastic pieces?

will i need 2 diffrent primers or can i just use one type for both.

i figure i will have the guy spray it for me, then i will just sand it myself and have my cousin do the rest. i will also be doing a little bondo (small dent) on the tank.

thanks for any help.

ryan
      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x
      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer
        i talked to a guy that said he can prime it for me for pretty cheap, i plan on buying the primer for him to spray. He also sells verious pgp products what type, name, number.... and every thing elses will i need to get the best recomended primer for both the metal tank and the plastic pieces?

will i need 2 diffrent primers or can i just use one type for both.

i figure i will have the guy spray it for me, then i will just sand it myself and have my cousin do the rest. i will also be doing a little bondo (small dent) on the tank.

thanks for any help.

ryan
        I'm not sure if the 2K can be used on plastic. Ask the guys at the paint store. It's there job to know what products work for each particular application. I have used the 2K on plastic before and it worked, but it didn't bite too well on the first coat. I had to resand with coarser paper (can't remember what grit, but I think 180). It was still fine when I sold the bike.

Comment

also, buy a can of intake cleaner and its sure to remove anything.... :twisted:

Comment

Working...
          X