What paint for the frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What paint for the frame?

I am going to be painting my bike this winter/spring and also will be painting the frame. What I need to know is if there are any paints that I can spray on the frame that is tough enough to hold up. Powder coating is an option, but since I want the frame and bodywork to match, that limits my choices to the colors of the powdercoater. Plus, I feel I could probably paint it myself cheaper. I want something stronger than the standard base/clear paint. After it's painted I have to put the engine back in and the tires etc on. I am a clutz and I garauntee I will hit the paint several times. Thanks for the input.

nothing will be even close to being as tough as powdercoating, but everything matches black. also most powdercoters should be able to get most any color. hope this helps

Comment

DON'T USE RATTLE CAN TO PAINT THE FRAME, it will chip very easy, i did and now it looks good but it will chip a lot easier then the orginal paint.

take a look at this post there is lots of good info on primer and paint

-ryan
      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x
      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

I just talked to a paint supply store and the guy said that they have black motorcycle frame paint. It's acryllic enamel. In that case, I could paint the frame in any color as long as I have the paint code. I'll just have to add some extra hardener. I was actually thinking about painting the bodywork with acryllic enamel anyway. I painted my 64 Olds with it. Im one of those who prefers it to 2 stage paints.

Comment

I'd spring for the powdercoat. As mentioned, I don't think you can beat it.

Comment

If you have the frame stripped, you might as well have it powdercoated.

They will (usually) acid dip it to clean it, then coat it right up for you. Cheaper than you think, too. it don't take much to do a frame, especially if you go bead blast it clean yourself before you hand it over to em.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer
              DON'T USE RATTLE CAN TO PAINT THE FRAME, it will chip very easy, i did and now it looks good but it will chip a lot easier then the orginal paint.

take a look at this post there is lots of good info on primer and paint

-ryan
              I used spray bombs for my frame and it came out great! Looks good and over a year later there is still not a single chip in it. Of course the fact that it is still just a frame sitting in my garage my have something to do with that :P

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Jedi
                If you have the frame stripped, you might as well have it powdercoated.

They will (usually) acid dip it to clean it, then coat it right up for you. Cheaper than you think, too. it don't take much to do a frame, especially if you go bead blast it clean yourself before you hand it over to em.
                The quote I got for the frame being powder coated was $200-250 (not including stripping). I think I could paint it myself for about $100. Do they have metallic powder coat colors?

Comment

here's an example of powder coat colors... http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...erID=17&KICKER

For a frame shop around, I think Nerobro found a place in or near chicago that will powder coat his frame for 100 - 175...

Comment

I was taking a look at the powder coating kit at eastwood. Has anone tried this? It seems like that little lamp would take forever.

Comment

Working...
                    X