Making fairings from scratch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making fairings from scratch

So I've been doing some thinking recently about what I'm going to do to the bike. I've considered two types of visual modifications: Chopping the rear fender and seat, and painting it all matte black - like a ratbike or more specifically the Bol d'Noir bikes.

The other choice, toward which I'm strongly leaning, is a unique sport bike mod. I'm talking "holy cr@p is that a new model?" type of modifications. This would include a slight lowering job, reshaping of the seat, introduction of more fiberglass on the tailsection, and fairing additions.

I've taken some looks at my friend's 96 Katana and have done some test fittings with spare Katana fairings. It'd be a stretch but I could get those to fit if I mutilated one.

Today I thought up something crazy: Making my own fairings. I'm not talking something crazy like a dozen scoops and scallops per fairing or anything; I'm thinking along the lines of a Ducati 998 or 999 - smooth, to the point and thats about it, as seen here:

Anyway, the question is: Has anybody done this? Has anybody here worked with fiberglass? My sister's boyfriend is one of the top fiberglass guys on audio installs in the country so he could help me a bit, but fairings would be new to him too. Ideas? Thanks a lot.

I've noticed the "air scoop" mod done on some bikes, but that's a prefab. I'm going for something much more extensive. Hopefully I'd be able to make the fairings a one piece per side setup, so that it'd be simpler.

good luck, i am pretty sure you need some sort of mold to make fiber glass boddy peices, i think you are in for a worl of LOADS of work, and money, your best bet is to work with what you have and try to work with in those parameters. or maybe try to get existing body pieces from other bikes to work and reweld some tabs for them. ask your sis bf how easy it is to work with sheets of fiberglass.

-ryan
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

I dunno. I think trying to using other machiens farings would be more difficult than actually making your own.

Working with fiberglass isn't that hard. The mold is the "difficult" part. but in this case, if you're ok with elbow grease, you can just make a positive mold, and use conventional surface coating/painting techniques.

Check out how RW riley makes bodies. http://www.rqriley.com/frp-foam.html
      That's the easy way. Some foam from the hardware store, some sandpaper, and some fiberglass. Scrape/melt out the foam afterwords, and you'll have a dandy fairing.
      You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
      If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
      1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
      1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
      1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
      1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
      1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Sweet! That's what I'm looking for. I'll have to check out the ole foam supplies at Home Depot.

Comment

The real trick with the fairing isn't going to be fabbing as much as design. Whatever you do isn't going to be much fun if it doesn't have good Aerodynamics.

Then again, if a bike is functional with a windjammer, it'll work with anything...

Comment

.....come on! Fairings are for old men!

Comment

Fairings... yuck.

Naked bikes are cool.

Which brings up another point. Better get an oil cooler or something. These old air cooled bikes don't like to be wrapped in a fiberglass blanket.
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

And your in Florida!
                Currently bikeless
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Thankfully along with the entire GS 1100 front end the PO also installed an oil cooler, so this should work.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                    Fairings... yuck.

Naked bikes are cool.

Which brings up another point. Better get an oil cooler or something. These old air cooled bikes don't like to be wrapped in a fiberglass blanket.
                    Bull!!! it has never worried my 1150 and it is the full faired version, it can get rather hot here too you know.
                    Dink
                    there are even quite a few heavily modded Kat's running around in Oz with full fairings on and no oil cooler.

Comment

There's a guy in Madison with an early '90s ZX-11. He bought it crashed, built his own adjustable bar risers and fashioned a fairing out of the rubber from an old conveyor belt. Seriously Mad Max looking machine. Ugly as f u c k hell.
                      "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...dStatesMap.jpg

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

Bull!!! it has never worried my 1150 and it is the full faired version, it can get rather hot here too you know.
                        Dink
                        there are even quite a few heavily modded Kat's running around in Oz with full fairings on and no oil cooler.
                        I don't believe it! You're lying!

Just kidding. I guess I wasn't thinking of the 1150's with full fairings and such.
                        Currently bikeless

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                          Dink
                          I don't believe it! You're lying!

Just kidding. I guess I wasn't thinking of the 1150's with full fairings and such.
                          My 82 XJ is the same way buddy. The wrap actually helps cool the bike,.... when moving

Comment

Working...
                          X