Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

idea for backrest/luggage/sissy bar

whats up fellas and ladies,

i been kickin around the forums for about a year now. really nice place. anyway, ive got a 1981 gs550L, and i was thinkin...

you know those milsurp alice packs?

well what a guy needs to do for camping, travel, whatever, is rig up a detatchable setup.... basically a drop-and-lock type of thing where youve got a female end attatched to your bike and a male end attatched to the frame of the alice back.

drill some holes, drop in a few locking pins, and youre on your way.

im probably going to attempt it this weekend... i'll post and let yall know how it turned out.

major problem right now is that the frame is alluminum...
    all heliarcing aside, its going to suck trying to figure something out.

any ideas would be appreciated.

thanks

hi there,
    I ride a gs850g... onboard is a " gearsack " rack and sack. I then carry an army pack in front of that... so it sits on the pillion seat faceing forward.
    To secure the army/alice pack, I simply run the shoulder straps over the gearsack bag, crossing them as I go, then clip the shoulder straps to there securing sockets at the lower rear corners of the army pack. These shoulder straps are adjustable so it fits very firmly. I recently did a 4000 klm trip with absolutely no drama.

That is what I do, I hope you get something from it.

Good luck with the project.

stay upright

Comment

Swampfox;
      unfortunately I am imaginatively challenged - i.e. could you post a picture of your setup? Sounds interesting...

Comment

hi Eddie
        As soon as I learn how to post a pic, I will......... if you can advise me, that would be good

stay upright

Comment

I usually just use some Arno straps to lash a backpack down over the rear seat and tail section. I've even fastened a golf bag on the left rear passenger foot peg.

I'd be interested if you came up with something good!
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
          X