dot lights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dot lights?

hi evreyone. ive got a general question about signal and tail lights. what determins if a light is dot approved? Im looking at a number of different light setups and some list as dot and some not. Im wondering if the light is dot approved itself or just on specific applications? Im in the middle of a cafe project and i am replacing the beutifull :P stock signals . Ive got a lp fairing and am favoring a short stock or flush mount for the front signals. Id like to find a combination tail signal for the rear, but these seem to be harder to come by. any suggestions??
    Thanks

Combination tail ights are generally NOT aproved Depending on local laws the signals are supposed to be 12" apart & meet a certain brightness
    output. SO just depends on how you view the local laws

Comment

If the light is DOT approved, it will have DOT on it some place 8)

Comment

From what I've seen, none of the "mini-stalk" or flush mount signals out there are DOT approved. I bought some Phillips/Lockhart aluminum mini-stalks for my '79 1000. They're not DOT. They ARE 23 watt, same as stock, but I think even though they look just as bright to me as the stockers, they aren't as large and this cuts down their distance visibility. So I think the surface area of the lens combined with the wattage, makes it DOT or not and of course, spacing.
        I can say mine are plenty bright though. I wouldn't have put them on if they weren't. Phillips/Lockhart makes several different lens and body colors. I liked the aluminum because they're aluminum, not plastic. They also polish up nice after you remove the clearcoating. You can also buff up the inside bulb area to make them a little brighter still.
        You can see them at my web site if you like. Just click the WWW symbol below.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

K eith...that is one beutiful litre! I like the LP lights, very sleek. ill look into them. Thanks for the info guys.

Comment

Keith I love the clean look of those spark plug wires. Are those factory? Do you have Dyna coils? What I don't like about dyna coils is that you have to use a automotive type wire. The factory wire makes a much better connection at the plug.

Comment

Yessir Keith, you are a true polishaholic. :-) The bike looks great and for sure, you have more patience for detailing than I do. :-) OH yeah, from your pipes, you even got your jetting spot on too. LMAO

Earl

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
              Just click the WWW symbol below.
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                OH yeah, from your pipes, you even got your jetting spot on too. LMAO

Earl
                OH MY GAWD!!! Spot-on jetting with PODS????? Can it be true?

IBA# 24077
                '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by Jkev
                  Keith I love the clean look of those spark plug wires. Are those factory? Do you have Dyna coils? What I don't like about dyna coils is that you have to use a automotive type wire. The factory wire makes a much better connection at the plug.
                  Yes, I have Dyna coils, Dyna silicone leads and NGK caps.
                  I'm not sure what you mean by having to use "automotive type" wire with Dyna coils.
                  As for the connections on both ends of the leads, you twist the wire onto a threaded spike. Then you twist a tightening collar for the coil end over that. I've never had a problem due to loose connections.
                  I like the look too. I think wires should be "out of sight" as much as possible. I was just teasing Earl about his preference for the yellow Accel wires. I know they say "I'm a performance part" to others, but I just never liked the loud colors.
                  And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                  Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy
                    OH yeah, from your pipes, you even got your jetting spot on too. LMAO

Earl
                    OH MY GAWD!!! Spot-on jetting with PODS????? Can it be true?

I cannot tell a lie or hide the facts. I did get some blueing while re-jetting. I was a little surprised at how fast the V&H pipe blues. I removed the blueing with "Blue away" after I got the jetting right.
                    I did have some fun dialing in the jetting for my mod's. I knew I didn't trust the "base settings" recommended by Dynojet, so I went one position richer on the jet needle to start with. I used my daily ride (10 miles) to work as my testing. The needle circuit felt fairly good but the plugs said lean. I still rode to work anyway that week and figured to re-jet on the weekend. My reward for that was the pipe blued up.
                    The VM carbs are infamous for making you work to get them acceptable. And if you're a perfectionist like me, acceptable can be hard to attain. Some guys won't even try. You can still have some very minor issues even after your final jetting. But the overall performance gains far out weigh them.

Comment

Aw Keith, you know I dont care if it will actually run. Its the looks and my image thats important. That and a Puerto Rican accent, and voila!, it gets de girls, and we all know thats why we ride.

Earl :-)

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
                      I was just teasing Earl about his preference for the yellow Accel wires. I know they say "I'm a performance part" to others, but I just never liked the loud colors.
                      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

it gets de girls, and we all know thats why we ride.
                        Shhhhhhh, Earl!! 8O If the little woman reads this, I'm toast!

Comment

Working...
                        X